Rock Island USRA 2-8-2 #2319 (Bachmann 54402)- DC

Started by Searsport, February 13, 2018, 09:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, I just got this through the post today from Modeltrainstuff, and whilst it is unfortunate that Bachmann are no longer introducing new models to Spectrum standard, I felt I should record that I am very pleased with this model. First, I got it for $135, i.e. $149.99 less a 10% discount that MB Klein had on Bachmann when I ordered it, which I mention because they still have some at that price for several RRs (though the 10% discount is ended, but that seems to cycle around) which is a good deal better than the $319 RRP and a lot less than I would have had to pay for a Spectrum (or a BLI, who also do the light and heavy USRA Mikados).

But the particular points I wanted to make about this model are:

Bachmann have used correct #s. Most CRIP 2-8-2s were not USRA types, but they did get 20 in 1919 and numbered them 2300-2319, CRIP class K-55. These were the lightest 2-8-2s the Rock Island owned, with a tractive effort some 10,000 lb less than their other Mikes, which may be why they did not get more.

There is a photo of #2319 on Don's Depot which shows that Bachmann have also got the main visible features right, like the headlamp on the smokebox door, and the position of the bell.

But what I am most impressed by is the slow speed running. My DC track has an old H&M Duette controller attached, which offers high and low resistance and full and half-wave rectification. Stright from the box this engine was a bit too fast on full-wave, low resistance, but on high resistance it was commendably slow and at half wave it just creeps along smoothly, even through turnouts. I guess the wheelbase over which it collects current may be something to do with that, but also I suspect the gearing is ideal. Also, even at low power the headlight and backup lights are commendably bright.

Unfortunately it has one big problem for me - it is 2-inches longer than my ruling 10-inch max loco length to switch my yard!, so it will have to sit on the shelf for a while. However, I am planning a new RR which will be able to accommodate it, and I am also minded to do that in DC as sometimes you need to get back to the silent simplicity of an old-fashioned layout where you do not have to keep punching in numbers and remembering which function is which for this or that engine. A good, smooth, slow running DC loco is needed for that - I also have two DC Life-Like Rock Island USRA 0-6-0s that fits that bill, one coal and one oil fired.

If I might make one suggestion to Mr B, the coal load on the USRA medium coal tender lifts out, so why not make an optional oil bunker for this tender and put it in your spares shop. I cannot see from Don Ross's photo what #2319 has in its bunker, but locobase reports the CRIP K-55 class as carrying 5,000 gals of oil or 19 tons of coal, and so far as I know the Rock Island used different fuels for different territories.

So in conclusion, I recommend this loco to anyone who might be thinking about a mike, especially one that needs to be able to do a bit of switching. BTW I have no idea how the "sound value" version performs. Also, I cannot comment on hauling power of this plastic-bodied loco, but that is not an issue on my RR.

Best Regards,
Bill.

Trainman203

The Bach Man used to make an oil bunker for the USRA tenders,  Bill.  The 2-10-2 used an identical coal load in the long version tender.  The oil bunker is a drop in replacement and shows in the exploded drawing, it was included stock on the KCS engine.  I want that part too , to make all my Bachmann 2-8-0's oil burners as per Mopac Gulf Coast Lines engines.  Mr. Bach Man, how big a deal would it be to offer this part again for us oil burning Southwestern road steam modelers?  I'm good for a dozen if you do, maybe more.

I have the Frisco 2-8-2 with a Tsunami 2 installed.  It too will crawl like an ant, its regular assignment is switching the Midland Yard.

Searsport

Ah, I see it in the spares shop - it is "Tender Oil Top (HO 2-10-2)", Model: 838X-0AB02, $8.80, SOLD OUT - so I guess a few other people had the same idea! BTW if you want a snail-slow MOPAC switcher for your yard I can recommend the Life-Like USRA 0-8-0 - I have MP #9605 and it is superb, but unfortunately another loco that does not like my PECO small radius Ys. Also it has a coal bunker, and indeed I think all their MoPac 0-8-0s come with coal, unlike their CRIP 0-6-0s, of which some are coal and others oil.

Returning to the Rock, I found this micro terminus http://www.carendt.com/micro-layout-design-gallery/standard-gauge-lines/ - Erick, Oklahoma, admittedly 1988, but... It has a grain silo, timber yard, and unspecified warehouse all of which can be switched from an imaginary off-scene loop. Scenic area length variable according to your choice of locos and cars. I imagine it would be served from a traverser of however many roads you want long enough to hold however many freight cars you want, at the further end of which there would be a second traverser or however many static tracks you want to hold locos that would propel their cars into the scenic area. No need for tight radius turnouts on this one!

Best Regards,
Bill.

RAM

Bill the Rock may not have wanted the the ten light usra mikes.  All railroads were under the control of the USRA and many railroads got USRA locomotives that they did not want.

Trainman203

The Russian decapods may have been the most unwanted engines of all.  200 of them, orphaned by the 1918 Russian revolution, got spread out around the eastern US by the USRA.  They were really too slow and light for meaningful mainline service.  The MP ended up with 8 of them, and they seemed to have spent a lot of time loading and unloading the Mississippi River car ferry at Anchorage, Louisiana.

Searsport

Hi, an update, for anyone interested, on the Rock Island USRA Light 2-8-2s.

I got access to my Rock Island Steam book at the weekend, and found that the first 9, built by Baldwin, were for the CRIP, and the remaining 11, built by ALCo, went originally to the Texas & Pacific in 1918, who did not want them and passed them on to the Rock in 1919. Apparently they were liked on the Rock and they lasted to the end of steam, the first going in 1945 and the last one being withdrawn in February 1953.

They were all delivered as coal burners and were all converted to oil by the CRIP in the 1930s, so they were probably oilers by the time the CRIP put the shell emblem on their tenders from 1937 onwards. Before that the tenders were lettered "Rock Island". Microscale make comprehensive Rock Island Steam sheets for 1915-1937 and for 1937-1954. From the photos in my book the oil tanks were big and extend further back than the coal bunker on the Bachmann USRA tender, so a drop-in alternative bunker for the same space is not the answer. Also, and presumably at the time of conversion, the Rock modified the cabs to provide sloping cab fronts, i.e. the top of the cab front is further forward than the bottom, so the model is of a pre-1930s conversion Rock Mike, without a lot of effort to change it. Otherwise they seem much the same as the model / a standard USRA light Mike.

My book has good photos of one at Colorado Springs in 1941 and one at Kansas City, MO, in 1951, so they were not all concentrated in one district. I don't know how widely they travelled.

Best Regards,
Bill.

Searsport

Ooops, I think that shell may be a beaver pelt!

Best Regards,
Bill.