Do other companies locomotives run with Bachmann Controllers?

Started by CPRailfan31, February 16, 2018, 11:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPRailfan31

I am wondering if I were to buy a locomotive from say KATO would I be able to run it on Bachmann EZ track and can I also using my Bachmann controller. Could I connect it to my EZ track transformer to KATO controller I am curious but i will stay loyal to bachmann Im just curios.

Flare

Any HO locomotive will run on HO track, and HO controllers are interchangeable as well.  (Though the method of connecting to the track may be proprietary)

The power transformer is a different issue, try to use the power transformer that's bundled with a controller.

bbmiroku

CPRailfan31

Anything, I have a EZ DCC control sysytem and a EZ remote if I bought say a KATO set would I be able to run my KATO using my bachmann one

jward

You should be able to run any locomotive equipped with a DCC decoder. If your Kato is not equipped you'll have to convert it yourself. Most of the time it is as simple as plugging a decoder into a socket, but not always.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CPRailfan31

What if it is just a standard locomotive like without DCC or DC

Flare

If your locomotive is DC (Analog) you can control it on address 10 from your EZ Command if I remember correctly.

Just don't let it sit idle if you can help it, the motor can burn out from DCC power if it's not moving.

bbmiroku

CP,
DC is your basic electric railroad, aka, plug the box in the wall, plug the box into the track, put your trains n it, and start running them using your 'box' to control the train with the slide, switch, or twisty knob.  It means the type of power supplied to the rails (Direct Current, as opposed to AC or Alternating Current, which powers the accessories usually).
DCC is a way to control the trains independent of the track, or Digital Command Control, which uses a remote control (usually) to control the trains.

DC only has power to the tracks when the train is moving, DCC always has power applied to the tracks.

How to easily tell them apart: if the box doesn't say DCC-equipped on it, it's a DC railroad.