News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

OFFICIAL 2018 ANNOUNCEMENTS

Started by InsideTrack, February 16, 2018, 04:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeganekkoFury1126

The border around Paxton's face should be the same green as the body and not the same light gray as the face, but other than that it looks pretty accurate.

Chaz

My best guess is his face is so small that they figured they would rather make the faceplate the same size as Diesels but not fix the border around the face?  If its just the prototype and they fix that on the final model then I will probably get it.

It looks great otherwise besides that, especially with the painted siderods.  Despite it being a recolor, I say it's a step up over the Oliver and Rosie models.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

Why is there a gray border around his face? Was it not fixable?
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

MoarCrossovers

Is it bad that I would like those toffee and chocolate syrup tankers in HO scale?

Also, Bachmann missed on the perfect opportunity to name the Diesel variant 'Devious Diesel'.
Do u kno de Grate Westarn Wae?

TrainFan97

Is that Paxton's final model? Is it too late to paint the border around his face?

Grumpy Diesel still has silver siderods.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Cheeky_ULP

Boy uh.

That's quite the glaring error.

The weird thing is, Diesels face isn't as wide as the grey area around Paxtons face. It raises the question of whether this is a bad Photoshop, or a paint error.

I really wish to support the Bachmann Thomas range, but when not even a repaint of Diesel can be done right, it raises some red flags and makes me very concerned for the range. Was the image/prototype simply not proof-read? Is this an unfinished design? I certainly hope so, as I had been greatly anticipating Paxton.

With Rosie and Oliver, I felt like Bachmann was back on track after the misfire Toad was (especially from a manufacturing standpoint).

On the other hand, Grumpy Diesel looks alright; if I didn't have Diesel already, I would have gotten it instead. I feel like Grumpy Diesel will become the peoples choice for a Diesel model, rather than his smiling face.

TrainFan97

Duck was originally going to have a black running board, but then it became white on the final model.

Please, Bachmann. The gray border around Paxton's face is going to hurt his sales. People are gonna say "You can just paint it yourself" I shouldn't have to. I don't have a steady hand. Please paint the face border before it's too late.

Chaz

If anything this is all the more of a reason to avoid making Sidney if it were to have a similar outcome.  Though if they do fix this small error on Paxton's face I would argue it's still a step up over Oliver and Rosie (especially Rosie).

It's a step-up over the smile the other Diesel model had, but having both in the range at the same time is not a good move on Bachmann's part.  Unless they plan to drop the first Diesel model in the range I can't imagine this will be a hot seller, unless some fans don't have the Diesel model already.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Griffin on February 21, 2018, 10:51:54 AM
I agree with your feedback wholly, Plow Bender. I didn't want to come across as petty or whiny, but I guess I kind of did. Hopefully the message I was trying to convey is still present though.

I can see where you're coming from entirely, Mr. Griffin so there's no need to worry about it.  As I said in my previous post, the pendulum may eventually start swinging back, but till then it's more or less a waiting game.

Quote from: DucktheGWREngine08 on February 20, 2018, 11:52:51 PM
Not everyone in the current generation or the one I'm part of want instant gratification, so using the generation card is kinda wrongful in my opinion, but I'm actually okay with the narrow gauge announcements this year being the coaches so I'm not disaapointed about this year.

Whether you agree with my perspective on the model railroading hobby or not is fine, but it does help if you at least have a clear perspective on things before you choose to call someone out on it.

As I said before, model railroading is a delayed gratification hobby.  You've got a generation today that is primarily (that doesn't mean everyone...) an instant gratification society.  Things like building kits or much less a model railroad take too long.  A few years back my hobby shop quit stocking a lot of their K&S, Evergreen, and Plastruct supplies due to a decline in the number of sales.  Even your Woodland Scenics landscaping materials just sit on the shelves collecting dust.  As the owner told me, it's a lot easier for someone to go out and buy something premade verses trying to build it themselves.

Model railroading magazine subscriptions have also gone down about 60% or so within the last 15 years.  Then you have manufacturers releasing a limited number of new products compared to previous years.  Combine that with the fact that we as the buyers complain about the high cost of our niche market products, not wanting to pay the cost of the company recovering it's investment to produce a (for a specific product) short run.  Similar to what I mentioned in my previous post, the shorter the product run, the higher the per piece price.  It's simple economics folks.

By all means you are free to disagree with my posts, but you could at least back up your post with some reason rather than just saying I'm using the generation card as a crutch.  Also, was it really necessary to quote my entire post?

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

TrainFan97

Hopefully, the Paxton model is just a prototype.

Duck had a paint error that got fixed on the final model (the running board). The same can happen for Paxton. If the border around his face gets painted dark green on the final model, it will REALLY improve his sales. Spencer's prototype had no buffers.

BassTbone

Quote from: Plow Bender on February 21, 2018, 01:44:23 PM

As I said before, model railroading is a delayed gratification hobby.  You've got a generation today that is primarily (that doesn't mean everyone...) an instant gratification society.  Things like building kits or much less a model railroad take too long.  A few years back my hobby shop quit stocking a lot of their K&S, Evergreen, and Plastruct supplies due to a decline in the number of sales.  Even your Woodland Scenics landscaping materials just sit on the shelves collecting dust.  As the owner told me, it's a lot easier for someone to go out and buy something premade verses trying to build it themselves.
This saddens me.  THAT'S THE BEST PART OF A LAYOUT!  Nothing more satisfying than building a scene you can say "I made that!". 

I mean, I am guilty of buying a 3D printed coach or loco because I am not good at scratch building complex items.  I take pride in painting and weathering it though.  Nothing more soothing than building a kit either!

Chaz

Just got confirmation from Doug Blaine that the image of Paxton is an early prototype.  It will be fixed on the final model and they will update the image online.

You're welcome.

Cheeky_ULP

No problem Maui, Demigod of the Wind and Sea, Hero to All

TerencetheTractor525

That is great news! Thank you letting us know Chaz! Is it also possible if you could email Doug Blaine, asking him if the red and blue narrow gauge carriages will be two different toolings? I would email Mr. Blaine myself, but I do not know his email address.  
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TrainFan97

Thank goodness!!

Now, Bachmann Paxton's sales have been saved! People will actually want to buy him! Now we don't have to worry about that ridiculous gray border anymore.

When Bachmann eventually makes Sidney, he will also have that fixed.