News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Shay Malfunction

Started by Space Mouse, February 17, 2018, 12:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Space Mouse

Hi guys first time poster in years. Had to re-register.

So I'm building a logging operations layout (in benchwork now) in which my Bachman Shay was to be the prima donna. I got the Shay maybe 8 years ago, but never had a place to run it. This layout was designed for the Shay.

So today was the day I tested my locomotives against my grades. First the rear drive shaft fell off while I was setting it on the track, then the transfer gear in the front truck cracked.

Now I understand you can upgrade the Shay significantly with metal gears from NWSL.

I've also heard that installing the kit is challenging. So considering the crutial nature of the engine to the layout, would you install the kit yourself, or have it professionally done. If the later, who would you send it to?

PS: is there a search function here?

Chip

Flare

I just looked at NWSL's catalog and it appears they only sell a single gear for the HO Bachmann Shay.  Not a set of them.

I used a NWSL regearing kit for my On30 Railtruck and it was just 3 bevel gears and a small tube of industrial adhesive;  You need to remove the existing gear from its axle and anything in the way (like the wheels) before putting the new gear on, and pray it's on there straight.

I see Bachmann appears to sell most of the driveline in their online store, so you can use that to repair your model.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_92&products_id=1651

(And yes there's a search function, it's the middle of five buttons near the top of the forum pages.)

PS:  I wonder if the lube in the shay's trucks dried out over the years and caused too much resistance?

Space Mouse

Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the Bachmann Driveline assemblies and I was surprized to see how reasonably priced they were.

Also, they are considerably easier to install than the NWSL gears. (See YouTube viideo below.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mspLRpXIlYI

I have only seen one customer review of the replacement driveline assemblies, but it was favorable stating they had no issues since.

Has anyone else used this replacement kit?

WoundedBear

I have fixed more Shays than I can count, using both Bachmann parts and the NWSL gears when they were available.

The Bachmann parts are fairly easy to install....some minor dismantling of the trucks is involved.

Sid

Space Mouse

Quote from: WoundedBear on February 17, 2018, 08:15:46 AM
I have fixed more Shays than I can count, using both Bachmann parts and the NWSL gears when they were available.

The Bachmann parts are fairly easy to install....some minor dismantling of the trucks is involved.

Sid

Are you happy with the results using the Bachmann parts?

WoundedBear

Quote from: Space Mouse on February 17, 2018, 08:19:47 AM
Quote from: WoundedBear on February 17, 2018, 08:15:46 AM

Sid

So far.......yes.

Sid

Space Mouse

So far.......yes.

Sid

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.