News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 mogul Russian Iron

Started by Dr Who 12, February 17, 2018, 09:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Who 12

What year was my 2-6-0 Russian Iron DCC ready #81488 produced?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi DW,

81488   D&RG   15   2016   ~ Loco   2-6-0 Denver & Rio Grande "Raton"            Spectrum

New in late 2016!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dr Who 12

Thanks for the quick reply Bill.

My 2-6-0 Spectrum mogul is unmarked ( no road name) I bought it new on line from a hobby store in Minnesota last year.

I was thinking it was made earlier than 2000.  I saw a post on the forum about the drive gear breaking even in new condition. Just as a percaution I took my loco apart to replace the drive gear so as not to have any problems when I put it into service but the gear on my loco is different than the one mentioned in the post. My gear is a notched 1/2 shaft design instead of the splined type in the post. My gear apears in perfect condition this is why I was wondering about when it was built as perhaps the later versions had this gear change. I decided to leave everything as is and reassembled the loco as the replacement gear I ordered from another mfg. had the splined design and wouldn't fit.

Do you think the gear in my loco will break like the splined ones do, if so where could I order a upgrade new gear that would fit?

Thanks again
Dr Who 12

Loco Bill Canelos

DW,

Something is not right, are you sure of the product number???

Could be you got this one??

81499   None   None   2000   ~ Loco   2-6-0, painted, unlettered Russian Iron   P   1      Spectrum

If so the correct replacement axle is:
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_145&products_id=4833

this axle is still in stock, and the replacement is not terribly difficult.   Your 2-6-0 is likely to eventually need the gear replacement so I recommend getting one while they are still in stock.

I did an article on how to do the replacement, and the article was done before the Bachmann replacement gear became available, so in the article I refer to another brand of gear.  I like the Bachmann replacement because it is already mounted on the axle making the replacement even easier.  Bachmann folks put the article in the Large Scale FAQ's.

Here is the link:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,19904.0.html

So check it out.  The pictures mentioned in the article are still available but still not sorted.

I am not aware of the other post you mentioned, and I assure you if your loco is 81499 from 2000 the replacement from Bachmann and or as mentioned in the FAQ  the other company either is correct and will work.

Bill

Dr Who 12

Hi Bill. 

I have all my loco boxes at a storage unit as I don't have room in my house for these so the weather was good today and I went and dug out the shipping and red box the loco came in and the # on the box is 81499 and the gear is exactly like the one you linked to.

I'll order a replacement gear from Bachmann as you recommend also do you think North West Shore Line would have a better replacement ? I know they have the splined one as I ordered one before I took my loco apart and found the gear to be different. I also thought I could reinforce the replacement Bachmann gear with carbon fiber and epoxy however on second  I think the lubricant might eventually weaken the epoxy.

So I'm still confused as to the year my loco was manufactured?

Thanks again for your help in  this matter.
DrWho12

Loco Bill Canelos

HI DW,

As to the date produced, I can only guess. Yours first came out in late 2000 and was no longer in the catalog after 2006.  I do not know if there was a second run during that time period, most likely not.  So I would say it was probably manufactured in 2000.
2-6-0 Moguls were rerun for sure in late 2016, and the 2016 models are upgraded and have different product numbers!

Either gear  should be fine I have used both with no problems.  I did not reinforce my replacement gear, but I supose if you feel it would help it couldn't hurt.

Bill

Dr Who 12

Thanks again for the quick response.
Dr Who 12

Dr Who 12

Hi Loco bill

Well I went to order a replacement gear for my 2-6-0 mogul and thy are sold out.  I called North West Short Line and thy can't make a gear like the D shaped center hole on the newer gears that were offered in the parts list. The person I talked with gave me some recommendations on how I could still use the old HWSL gear and make it fit the flattened axel.  If my gear brakes when I run the loco this year I'll make the recommended repairs and let the forum know my results.

I noticed that  Bachmann has a  2-6-0 mogul 2017 version and I wonder if they didn't switch to all brass gearing?

Later Dr Who 12

Loco Bill Canelos

The 2016/2017 Product Number 81488 as mentioned in my first response does have all metal gears and other improvements. 

The 2017 catalog has the info on page 238 :  here is the link:

http://resources.bachmanntrains.com/bachmann2017/

Bill

Dr Who 12

THANKS FOR THE ULTRA QUICK RESPONSE.

After I wrote my request I read your reply on another post and you mentioned about the brass gears.

The person I talked to at NWSL suggested that I drill and tap a 2mm thread for a set screw in the gear I bought from them. The set screw would jam tight to the flat part of the axel thus holding the gear fast to the drive shaft. He said his gear is made of a plastic that nothing will stick to  so filling the space in the gear with some kind of filler won't be a fix alone but with the set screw and perhaps some kind of filler  I think this might be a suitable repair. I will let the forum know if I need to make this repair to my 2-6-0 mogul.

Dr Who12