News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shay Stacks

Started by tlnibert, February 17, 2007, 08:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlnibert

I purchased a three truck Meadow River Shay yesterday and it had one smoke stack, which was knocked off.  A friend purchased an undec Shay and he had 4 smoke Stacks with his. Why didn't I get 4.
Tom

PS Can I buy them??

Stephen Warrington

The undecs come with all the options while the painted ones comes with specific details. that way when a modeler buys an undec he has the options to customize the locomotive to his or her tastes. I don't think you can buy the spare stacks a friend had his to break and it took him forever to get a replacement from Bachmann on his 36 tonner.

Stephen

Curmudgeon

Some have one, some have more stacks.
So far, it's been a friendly trading game, between fellow large-scalers, no "sales" involved.
Been that way with a lot of stuff.

Service does not have parts.
That said, they MIGHT have spares from a scrapped 3-trucker, but when I talked to them yesterday, they had none to scrap.

I have several "onion" stacks, anybody needs one, and a Radley-Hunter or two, postage and it's yours.

No spare "Lima" or Ely-Thomas stacks, as Stevie needs them.
No spare straights as I need them.

tlnibert

My three truck Shay didn't have a VCR tape or lube instructions like the other Shay's.  Did I get shorted.
I was interested it the straight Stack
I'm just now getting back into G Scale and I picked up a nib 36 ton and the new three truck.  The 36 ton had to go for repair, back truck gear.
Tom

Larry Green

The guys interested in straight stacks for their Shays should look at Trackside Details  TD-160 and TD-164, made for the Bachmann Shays. They have lots of other detail parts, as well. Good stuff.

tlnibert

I didn't look over the Shay when I unpacked it, I was busy, my furnace had shut down.  I finally found a DVD in the end of the box.
Tom

Ron Schunk

Quote from: tlnibert on February 18, 2007, 07:53:56 AM
My three truck Shay didn't have a VCR tape or lube instructions like the other Shay's.  Did I get shorted.
I was interested it the straight Stack
I'm just now getting back into G Scale and I picked up a nib 36 ton and the new three truck.  The 36 ton had to go for repair, back truck gear.
Tom

It's a bit late, but I just replaced the trucks on my 2 truck Shay (with the most generous help of the Curmedgon) and it was a piece of cake. Lots easier than shipping it back.

Curmudgeon

Larry-
I use TD-160's on all my 36-ton units.
Unfortunately, the 38-ton units chaged the stack mounts, making the 160 and 164 unuseable, unless you have an adaptor.
The Lima (Ely-Thomas) stacks in the new ones have the adaptor built in, and if you have one, you can use those.
TOC

tlnibert

I was looking at the stack on my Meadow River.  It was knock loose and doesn't seem to fit very well.  I don't know if a piece is missing or not.  I would have rather had the straight stack.
Cass Scenic RR is on the otherside of my state from me, but we try and go up every year. When you see a real Shay under way you'll never forget it.
Tom