News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

back up light on the Pacific

Started by loosecaboose, February 20, 2018, 01:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loosecaboose

I have been trying to get the back up light to not be on when running forward. Model Railroader in their review of this engine said it could be done. After reading a lot of sources, I tried and failed. I am using a NCE power cab with my Pacific. I thought I had it, but instead now the rear light flashes all the time. I think one problem I have is not all sources use the same terminology for the elements involved. So, I am willing to give up if I can just reset to the factory settings, but how do I do that?
On another subject, how do I remove an engine I no longer have from the power cab. The only thing I can find is how to remove an engine from a consist.

Flare

Does the headlight flash as well?  That could be an error code.

Do you have the USRA 'Light' Pacific or the K4 Pacific?

loosecaboose

Light Pacific and only the rear light is flashing, both in forward and reverse.

Flare

Okay, set CV 8 to 8.  That should reset the loco to factory settings.  (This will also reset its address to 3)

Looking at Soundtraxx' CV list, directional lighting is configured by setting CVs 33 to 1 and 34 to 2. (The default light function output for both directions is 3, which is both lights)

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/images/bachmann/pdf/bachmann_ho_462_sv.pdf

I also use a Power Cab, but removing an engine hasn't been a problem.  I just hit Select Loco and enter a new address.

loosecaboose

Thank you Flare, I now have what I wanted in the first place, reverse light off.

Flare

You're welcome, also I like your name.  :D

Hunt

Some more ...

First reset decoder to clear what you have done
Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program CV 8 to 8 (can use either Service Mode or Operations Mode programming)
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight and backup light will blink simultaneously 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or lights come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

For Directional lighting
Program
CV 33 = 1
CV 34 = 2
CV 49 = 129
CV 50 = 129

NCE Power Cab - How to delete a loco from the recall button
There is no delete function per se, but a simple way is to bring up the loco number you want to "remove" then hit select loco, press 000, press enter.

This overwrites the loco with zeros, making a fresh empty slot

Hunt

Unless the two step decoder reset procedure is used the Sound Value decoder many not completely reset.

loosecaboose

Thank you all. So much has change in 30 years since I was involved in model railroading. I can see from your comments the steps that I was missing,
Loose Caboose was my CB handle while that was popular and referred to the fact that when on the CB, this railroader was not at work.