Adding decoders to G Big Haulers and Spectrum

Started by tedtherep, February 22, 2018, 05:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tedtherep

What amperage capacity do I need to add decoders to Spectrum and Big Hauler G loco's? Looking to add both control and sound...what decoders do you recommend?  My USA loco's require 8 amps, and I believe the NCE D808's will soon be discontinued.

the Bach-man

Dear Ted,
When I do track power I use a 10 amp pack
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Nathan

I have used the NCE 4 amp units on my Bachmann locomotives when I do not want sound.

For the ones that did not come with DCC and sound and I want sound I use the Soundtraxx TSU4400.

Nathan

Kevin Strong

Depends on the loco and the loads it's going to pull. My suggestion - run the train on regular (analog) track power and use an ammeter to see how much current the loco is drawing while running under normal operating conditions. That'll give you an idea of what your loco draws. You're going to want a little extra headroom "just in case."

My usual large scale practice is to use a decoder rated at 4 amps or greater. Soundtraxx, TCS, ESU, Zimo, and Massoth all make sound decoders rated for at least 4 amps for large scale. Prices will range from $130 - $220 give or take. For small locos like 0-4-0s or locos which will not be pulling long trains, you can look to use boards rated for 2 amps and save a little space as well as money.

Later,

K