News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Decoder Install for N Scale 4-6-0

Started by dstjohn, February 23, 2018, 06:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstjohn

I want to install a DCC decoder in the N scale 4-6-0 locomotive and tender that comes with the Broadway Limited RTR set.  I can see the conductors that are integral to the drawbar connecting the tender to the loco, and I can see the copper strips in the bottom of the tender, but it's not clear to me whether the loco needs to be opened and modified, or if additional conductors must be installed between the loco and tender to do this.  Can anyone summarize for me the modifications necessary to do this?

spookshow

I've never seen the insides of one of the trainset 4-6-0's, so I don't know what all is there as far as DCC-Readiness goes. FWIW, the non-trainset 4-6-0 comes with a factory-installed decoder in the tender -

-Mark

dstjohn

Hey Mark, those pictures are perfect. Thanks!  I think the wires shown going between the tender and the locomotive tell me what I need to know.  Is there a trick to getting the tops off?

dstjohn

spookshow

No, Bachmann hasn't released a DCC-Sound 4-6-0 yet. Shell removal instructions (and other handy info) here -

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/spec460.html

-Mark

majordadsage

I put sound in my 4-6-0....SDXN136PS decoder with a "sugar cube" speaker from Streamlined Backshops.  SBS4DCC is the online name....tight fit but, it sounds great and runs great...