News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

coupler replacement on freight cars

Started by indian_hills_r_r, February 24, 2018, 12:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indian_hills_r_r

I am getting ready to replace all of my freight cars couplers from horn hooks to kadees. can anyone tell me the size and the thread count of the screws that are normally used on them. they are some from tyco, lifelike, and other manufactures. thanks 

Jhanecker2

To indian hills  r  r :   #2-56tpi. are the most commonly used screws  , but  is dependent  on how your couplers are fastened into your coupler boxes .  Check with Kadee to help you with installation.  Also make sure to get  coupler height gauges to make sure to standardize your heights .  You will also need pliers to bend or straighten the hose that hangs from the knuckle .   This is one of those on going projects that we all encounter & deal with .  John2.

jonathan

Like John said,  coupler conversion/maintenance is always in progress.

The 2-56 screw is a good universal screw for mounting coupler boxes... despite whatever was in place before.  I use a Kadee 2-56 tap to make new mounting holes for old equipment.  Just throwing in 2 cents.

Regards,

Jonathan

indian_hills_r_r

thanks, john2 and jonathan.  just purchased a coupler gauge and shims. have glue for those without screws. next will be the screws and tap.   again, guys thanks

Trainman203

Kadee also sells a drill and tap set for coupler work.

ebtnut

Note, however, that many imported cars (which likely include Bachmann) use metric rather than
American standard 2-56 screws. 

Jhanecker2

If you are plugging &    drilling & tapping holes it does not make a difference what  they originally  used . J2.