recommended 8 pin decoder for s2/s4 dcc ready locomotives

Started by custerg911, March 13, 2018, 08:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

custerg911

Need help with 8 pin decoder se.lection for s2/s4 switcher. Shell is Milwaukee Road #816 with only one front light rather than two shown currently.

Thaks

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I would recommend a Soundtraxx or ESU brand decoder. Both have great motor control but Soundtraxx decoders are a little less expensive. Soundtraxx makes one that will replace the PC board in your engine for only $26, they also make 8 Pin ones for $27.95 for the #852003 8 Pin decoder, and $19.95 for #852001 that is an 8 Pin direct plug (no wiring harness as the pins are integrated into the decoder). ESU LokPilot (DCC no sound) decoders range from $26.20 - $40.90 but for the S2/S4, I would recommend the Soundtraxx #852001 or ESU LokPilot Micro V4.0 with 8 Pin Plug. However, with the ESU decoders, I think you might have to insulate it by putting some shrink tubing that is available at any hardware store for only a few bucks for about 15-ish feet worth of it. But, I am unsure of this as the ESU decoders I do have came insulated (except for a couple 21-pin decoders I used in a couple British engines) but were marketed under the Bachmann Branchline product range.

jward

Almost any decoder manufacturer offers them with 8 pin plugs. I've had good luck with Digitrax DH153/165 series decoders. They are reasonable priced, and have back EMF which acts as a sort of cruise control and enhances low speed operation. The real S2/S4 locomotives were speed restricted to about 40 mph due to their trucks, so good low speed operation is what you want.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

indian_hills_r_r

I used a dh165IP in my S4. the next I am going to try to install sound.  the clearance between the shell and the frame is pretty tight so it take some work figuring which one to use