Spectrum Russian "Decapod" 2-10-0 shorts tracks!

Started by nemesys, March 14, 2018, 04:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nemesys

I got what appears to be a brand new or very limited use Decapod 2-10-0 loco last week. The wheels don't show any wear or any sign that it's been run. However, when I put the loco on the tracks, it immediately shorts my DCC layout. I now have an MRC Prodigy Advance controller but I also tested with the Bachmann E-Z Command controller with same result. The loco is DCC-ready so, even though I think the MRC controller cannot run DC-only locos, the E-Z Command one does as I have another DC-only locomotive that runs fine on my layout.

The seller told me he got it from an estate and said he tried to run it on his DC-only layout but couldn't get it to work. He never mentioned any short so I'm going to ask him if he did notice a short.

So, anybody has any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for any pointer or info!

Hunt

Place locomotive on track without tender. If no short, the wheelsets on the tender are not correctly orientated.  Correction maybe as simple as turning one of the trucks 180 degrees.

Trainman203

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on March 14, 2018, 05:52:01 PM
Place locomotive on track without tender. If no short, the wheelsets on the tender are not correctly orientated.  Correction maybe as simple as turning one of the trucks 180 degrees.

A short with just locomotive on track – the usual suspect is the copper plate that is part of the locomotive wheels electrical pick up is too long and bending up causing a short when touching the frame.  Shorten the copper plate so it does not bend and touch the frame.

bbmiroku

Trainman203

Getting used engines to run great is part of the fun of the hobby (at least for me it is).  It takes a RTR engine and makes it almost like a kit.

Irbricksceo

I had one of these with this exact issue out of the box. the issue turned out to be a slightly too long copper pickup plate (remove the long strip of plastic on the bottom of the engine, its attacked to that), causing it to bow upwards and short against the frame. I just isolated it and it fixed the issue
Modeling NYC in N

Trainman203

I've never had quirkier engines than these decapods.  They take a couple of days of shop work to get them right.  They are beautiful engines and worth it.  I hope they come back one day. 

nemesys

I was able to get it to work. It works just fine now on a basic standard DC layout.

Trainman203