News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 Valve gear motion.

Started by rogertra, March 18, 2018, 08:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Mr. B.

I have a Sound Value 2-6-0 where the valve motion has come loose.  This is the second one where it's happened.

The Loco is now a few years old so is out of warranty.   What processdo I have to go through to send it back for repair/replacement and how much will is cost?

In addition, the locomotive and tender have been weathered and extra details added.  In the past, Bachmann have simple replaced locos sent in under warranty even though I have requested the same loco back as all my Spectrum steam locos have extra details added and have been custom painted and decalled for my home road.

As both the 2-6-0 boiler and cab assemble have been weathered and details and the tender has also been modified, decalled and weathered, is it possible to just send in the damaged locomotive's running gear.  Motor chassis etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Roger Traviss

the Bach-man

Dear Roger,
Call service and describe the issue. I'm sure they can send you the needed parts.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Trainman203

Roger, buy a dummy boiler shell and tender shell to put on the engine for the send back.  When you get a replacement engine back, put your custom shells on it.

I've had a mogul on which the eccentric crank came loose.  Is this what happened to yours?

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on March 19, 2018, 08:04:08 AM
Roger, buy a dummy boiler shell and tender shell to put on the engine for the send back.  When you get a replacement engine back, put your custom shells on it.

I've had a mogul on which the eccentric crank came loose.  Is this what happened to yours?

Good idea with the replacement boiler.

This is the second one to be sent back because the eccentric crank rivet fell out.

Roger T.

rogertra

Quote from: the Bach-man on March 18, 2018, 10:01:16 PM
Dear Roger,
Call service and describe the issue. I'm sure they can send you the needed parts.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Thanks Mr. B.  Will do.

Roger T.

rogertra

Quote from: RAILSPLITTER on March 26, 2018, 06:23:55 PM
Roger ,
Mine did the same . Seems under a magnifier there is a tab and a notch set up o the ecentric crank that will go together and screw down out of alignment to where the 2 metal pieces do not sit flush and the screw that hold them together seems tight ,but is not because the tab and groove are not locked flat and bind to make it look like the screw is tight. I found if you still have the screw and put thing together loose and work the eccentric crank tab into its notch   crank wile turning the screw slowly to tighten and wiggling the pieces flat and flush they will tighten down all the way and not come apart. This is a good set up ,but the error was made in assembly . Good parts,bad build in that area. Fixed a few and have been good since.

Jon

I agree, good parts bad assembly.  Unfortunately I vacuumed my track before the loco failed, so any parts are gone.  Damn me for being too tidy.

My biggest concern is getting the same loco back.  I guess it's cheaper for Bachmann to scrap the model, or  keep it for parts and just send a new one.  Mine's had details added, coal bunker modified, bell and headlight move, my road decals applied and been weather.  I need some assurance from Bachmann I'll get at least the locobody and tender back with a new mechanism under it.  Last time I tried this with a 2-10-0 I sent in a Spectrum model, again with csome kitbashing and got back the lastest version with cast on details.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

There's a 2-10-0 out now with cast on details?  Please.  Tell.  I want one.  Or 3. Or 7.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on April 03, 2018, 01:45:56 PM
There's a 2-10-0 out now with cast on details?  Please.  Tell.  I want one.  Or 3. Or 7.

I bought this engine about three years ago.  You may have to check the Bachmann catalogue.    If I'd realised at the time it wasn't Spectrum, I would not have purchased it.

No Spectrum, me no purchase.

Cheers.

Roger T.

rogertra

Seems this is the second 2-6-0 I've had to send back for the same problem.  I found a letter I wrote dated August 11, 2014, so this seems to be a not uncommon problem.

I have contacted Bachmann telling them I need both the loco and tender bodies back as they are custom detailed, I did this back in 2014 to no avail, so this time I'm  asking if I can just send back the loco chassis for repair/replacement.

I'll keep you informed.

Roger T.

Bill Baker

Roger,

Any word back from Bachmann yet on your 2-6-0 request?  I had the same problem on a 2-8-0 I sent in for repairs about 5 years ago and got a new one instead of my original.  I'm beginning to think that Bachmann management needs to address their communication problems with the public.

Bill
Bill

rogertra

Quote from: Bill Baker on April 25, 2018, 12:41:39 PM
Roger,

Any word back from Bachmann yet on your 2-6-0 request?  I had the same problem on a 2-8-0 I sent in for repairs about 5 years ago and got a new one instead of my original.  I'm beginning to think that Bachmann management needs to address their communication problems with the public.

Bill

I sent an e-mail and Bachmann did reply.  However, they did not answer my question about getting back my original detailed and weather loco or tender.  They did provide a list of prices for sending locos back when out of warranty.

The suggestion was I contact the parts department and see if the had the parts available, I guess for me to repair the locomotive's motion myself.  If they have the parts, rather than risk loosing my loco, I'll try that route.  BTW, This is the second 2-6-0 I have purchased where the valve motion fell apart.

Cheers

Roger T.