News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout Progress

Started by jonathan, March 24, 2018, 06:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Over the last two months, I have planted well over 100 trees.  Trying to build a forest on the hill behind the trackage:

DSC_1186 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I like the results, but it's taking forever to finish.  I had the same issue with my last layout... never enough trees.  I got issues:

DSC_1187 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

These are the mainline locos I am running at present:

My Bachmann USRA 2-6-6-2 (KK-4b) runs at exactly the same speed as this brass Mikado Q-4b:

DSC_1189 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

They can pull a pretty good sized coal drag.  Took a while to find a loco that would double-head with the mallet.

I'm considering adding sound (econami 200) to the 2-6-6-2.  Just pondering at this point...

Next are the two Bachmann 4-8-2 Heavy Mountains.  The second one in the photo has given me all kinds of grief over the years.  It was always stalling on me.  I changed the motor and PCB.  Cleaned the thing inside and out.  I took it completely apart over a dozen times.  Finally, got it running as smoothly as the other Mountain:

DSC_1190 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Last on the mainline are also Bachmanns; H16-44s. Tinkered with these guys a lot.  They run great:

DSC_1193 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Of course, I have other choices... and run these other locos too:

DSC_1195 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Took some low-light shots to check progress on lighting for night-time running.  Have a ways to go, but I'm starting to like this, too:

DSC_1198 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1199 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1202 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Looking good as usual Jon. Those last few shots, with the lights on, are outstanding.

Sid

Len

Very nice! I can't wait to see what the building lights on the display layout I maintain look like when I get them hooked up next week.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RAM

with that one building, you can see the need to paint building black on the inside.

jonathan

Thanks!

Yep.  That structure is a different brand than I'm used to. I did paint the inside walls... just one coat, and I didn't use black.  The plastic walls must be thinner than the other structures.  Now that it's planted, it would be a messy project to lift it out and add more inner paint.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

What photo sharing "app" are you using ?

jonathan

Flikr

Not as user-friendly as photobucket, but still free... for now.

Regards,

Jonathan

Barry Karlberg

Nice railroad, Jonathan and quite an extensive roster of power.

Thanks, for sharing your progress.

Barry

jonathan

Thank you!

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

Love those trees, especially the smaller ones in the distance.  What are you using for the trunks ?  Wire armatures,
natural products, commercial products...?  I have a curious mind and really want to know.

Ken

jonathan

Thanks for asking!

99%of the trees are Woodland Scenics armatures.  I use tall ones in front and small armatures high up in the back... for a little forced perspective I hope.

Trying to mix up the colors of the ground foam clusters. Hoping this gives the illusion of tree variety.  Also, can't tell from a distance but I use various colors of black, brown, and gray on the trunks. 

Once the trees are done, I plan to detail the front edges of the "forest" with ground clutter.

Regards,

Jonathan

Barry Karlberg

Jonathan could you contact me off line? I have a question for you regarding a 2-8-0.

Thanks,

Barry

wc99110@gmail.com

Woody Elmore

Jon - perhaps you should alter an HO figure into Johnny Appleseed and have him planting trees.

Really nice work - love the lighting!

jonathan

Thanks, Woody!

Here's a boxcar interior project, I just completed.  Got the junk from a very old life-like blister pack:

Regards,

Jonathan

DSC_1260 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1262 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1265 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1266 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1268 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1270 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Westerfield USRA Boxcar Left Side by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Westerfield USRA Boxcar Brake close up by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Westerfield USRA Boxcar Brake Rigging by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Westerfield USRA Boxcar B End by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Westerfield USRA Boxcar Right Side by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1308 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Westerfield USRA Boxcar A Side by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1308 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Westerfield USRA Boxcar A Side by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1316 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1316 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Westerfield USRA Boxcar Close Up of Air Hose by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Westerfield USRA Boxcar Stemwinder Assembly by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

WoundedBear

I like the boxcar load. I need to give that a shot on my layout.

Sid