Somewehere behind the front in 1918 - OntraXS! 2018

Started by fred lundgren, March 26, 2018, 11:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Bach-man

My particular friend Rick Spencer sings a WWI song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-292xgsNVc
Rick is a chanteyman and historical singer, artist, and all-around great guy!
the Bach-man

fred lundgren

That is a very interesting song. I do not think it was very popular at the officers club at happy hour.

p51

People can't grasp how truly horrific WW1 really was. WW2 eclipsed it in size and shock value later, but the Great War was utter butchery. A literal meat grinder that gutted Europe of an entire generation.
Quote from: fred lundgren on March 27, 2018, 05:58:50 PM
That is a very interesting song. I do not think it was very popular at the officers club at happy hour.
Definitely something the soldiers sung in the trenches or going back to/from the front.
I was lucky enough to talk to some WW1 vets many years ago (1998) and one of them sung this. Oh, how I wish I'd had a video camera. It might have been the last time anyone ever sung that who'd done so in the Great War...
-Lee

Jhanecker2

there are regions in Europe that have never been cleaned up from  World War One .  All the leaders who started this atrocity on their people should all have been jailed on both sides .  But all the war profiteers started this stupidity  again a generation later .  "Leaders"  never learn .  J2.

p51

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on March 27, 2018, 08:26:05 PM
there are regions in Europe that have never been cleaned up from  World War One . 
I have been to Ypres, possibly one of the most heavily shelled areas on the planet (even to this day) as they fought over that town almost non stop for the duration of the war.
Even to this day, a century later, famers daily dig up unexploded artillery rounds in their fields. They stack them in the ditches and call the Belgian EOD unit to come dispose of them when the stack gets tall enough. The call it the "Iron Harvest". Signs on the approaches to the town warn not to touch them, in several languages. A farmer there told me it was illegal to dig with mechanical means in most of the town and surrounding area, as you'd likely set off an explosion from WW1 ordnance otherwise. People die every now and then there and around other former WW1 battlefields in Belgium, France and other places.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/first-world-war-bombs-still-3862370
-Lee

Terry Toenges

That was an enlightening read. I had no idea that so much ordnance still existed like that.
Feel like a Mogul.