News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 4-4-0

Started by Dr Who 12, March 26, 2018, 08:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Who 12

One of our RR club members passed away recently and his wife decided to sell his RR collection. I bought 2 G gauge  tank cars in the box and never opened also a G gauge Spectrum 4-4-0 loco still in it's original red box with all packing foam and plastic bags. The loco is a #81395 and I wasn't going to buy it because I have a beautiful Spectrum 2-6-0 Mogul. I was also leery about getting the 4-4-0 because of the drive gear/axel problem reported but to my surprise the loco has all metal gearing. The loco is a Baltimore & Lehigh #6 road name and is just as beautiful as my 2-6-0. This loco came with no literature ;some how this info was missing.

I have been trying to find a set of loco diagrams for the 4-4-0 but have struck out and Bachmann has discontinued this loco so no help there. If someone on the forum has a set of these diagrams could you please post them on the forum so I might be able to print them? My new loco runs fine and everything works but the box doesn't state that the loco is DCC ready so I would like to know what is inside so if I go DCC I would like to know what I need with out tearing into the loco.

Also if someone might know when this loco was built I would appreciate it.

Well that's all for now.
DrWho 12

grsman

DrWho 12?
These should be the two drawings for your engine:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/LS4-4-0DCWIRING.pdf

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/LS4-4-0DCCWIRING.pdf

You can compare the DC and DCC drawings to see what you would have to do.
I don't think they made DCC ready locos back then, but everything seems to be
easy enough to get to and rewire.
Tom

Dr Who 12

Thanks for quick reply Grsman.

Yes these drawings will be of great help. Would you know the date of manufacture of this #81395 loco?  I would like to figure how long it was sitting on the club member's garage shelf.

Thanks again.
Dr Who 12

Loco Bill Canelos

HI DW,

First came out in late 2001, and Your B&L #6 was out of the catalog after 2007.  Don't know if a second run was manufactured between 2001&2007, so it is possible it was sitting there since 2001 if he bought it when they came out. 

the 4-4-0's are beautiful, and a great companion to your 2-6-0!

Enjoy.

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dr Who 12

Thanks for the info Bill.

There was a garden store near this club member that along with garden supplies/landscaping they sold G scale trains and accessories that went out of business. It is possible he bought it there.

It is good to know about how old it is even though it was never out of the box brand new.

I was looking in the smoke house door on the front of the loco and noticed 2 switches one for smoke and the other for direction. Acording to the drawings I down loaded from Tom the smoke house has only the smoke switch so perhaps this might help with the age of the loco.

Thanks again for the info.
Dr Who12

Loco Bill Canelos

DW,

That is an indication that there was a second run, so yours may be later than 2001.   Another Bachmann mystery!  I will try to look into it deeper.   Looking at my database, I see that there was a later run in 2007, but it is not clear that  81395 had a second run at the same time.

Does yours have a straight stack or Diamond stack??  If it has a diamond stack that would be a definite indication of a second run of the 81395.   I ask because some of the 4-4-0's were changed from a straight stack to a diamond stack in 2007.  81395 when first introduced had a straight stack.   

Maybe Wade Colyer can help with this?  If anyone has a paper copy of a wiring diagram with two switches behind the smokebox door, please help out and post it.

Bill

Dr Who 12

Hi Bill
  Thanks again for your help.
  Yes my 4-4-0 has a diamond smoke stack it is the same stack as on my 2-6-0 mogul.

I think I'll check to see when the garden store closed and that might help also.

I'll be going to this years York train show on Friday after an 8 hour drive tomorrow and I'll ask around. Perhaps a Bachmann display will be there so I could check with them. 

Later
  Dr Who12

Loco Bill Canelos

DW,

That confirms it for me, your 4-4-0 is the newer 2007 version since it has the diamond stack.  If you have not been to York before, have a great time and bring lots of money, because the bargains are amazing.  The Bachmann folks usually have a display there, and if they do, tell them HI from Loco Bill.  Funny thing is that when there are questions like yours they usually ask me, since they do  not maintain any kind of historical info.  I will be curious as to what they say.

Have fun in York, wish I could be there.

Bill

Dr Who 12

Thanks for the super quick response.

Well I spent most of this years money allotment at the club member's garage sale but I still have a small amt. left.

Our club bought a lot of buildings from a builder in Kansas and he is bringing them to Your so I was asked to go to help bring the buildings to Ohio thus saving expensive shipping. I was wanting to visit York anyway to see what it is all about after being hyped up from several club members. Also I need some metal wheels and knuckle couplers and other stuff so this way I'll save on shipping as well.

Thanks again for all your help
Dr Who12

Dr Who 12

Hi Bill

Just back from the York show.  Bachmann didn't have a display there but there were a lot of Bachmann trains for sale. Some people stated that the show was kind of sparse  but I wouldn't know as this was my first time. The train displays were amazing and very informative. I didn't buy much but I was tempted to get a j1e Hudson loco because I herd that they aren't going to be made any more. Now that I'm back I kind of think I should have bought one  because the shipping is about $100.00 because the loco and tender weigh 60 lbs. There was a guy there running a Dash9 loco with a 31 double stack  container car train almost looked like I was home as we have a lot of these kind of trains around where I live.

There was a new to G scale DCC equipment co. there with a hand held controller that would control 600 trains and had pictures  of your loaded locos. So all you had to do is touch the loco picture and the other operations you wanted to run with the loco you selected; speed/sound/ lights/battery power other extra operations this was all quite over my head but they said I could have one of my Bachmann locos ready to run for around $400.00 and then extra locos for around $180.00 each as I only needed one hand held controller. I saw this system displayed on some steam locos but wasn't sold on the sounds. The diesel sounds were right on and sounded just like the real thing. I was told that this system was developed for HO but they are making controllers for G scale but the sound for steam locos needs more work. If they get the kinks out this system it will be a hot one I believe.

Well it was a long drive but I enjoyed the Show.

Later
Dr Who12

StanAmes

York was indeed fun

I do not know how you missed the Bachmann Booth.  It was the big one just as you entered the hall.

Stan

the Bach-man

Dear Who,
We were certainly there!
As always, I added to my collection (read accumulation!) and enjoyed talking to all the regulars.  I made some new friends as well.
The club displays were great, and I was heartened by the attendance and enthusiasm.
I had a great time!
Thanks to Dan and Flora Viega!
Have fun (I did!),
the Bach-man

Dr Who 12

Well I stand corrected.

There was a booth in the middle of the hall just inside the front door and I looked at what was there but didn't realize that, that is where you-all were located.  I did see a very nice G scale Atchison and Palisades 2-6-0 mogul on the table with a lot of European rolling stock but I recon I didn't put 2&2 together. Did you have a Bachmann sign there?

I was really interested in the 2-6-0 mogul because it had the water pump on the fireman's side of the loco. I was curious as to how it was fastened to the loco because I would like to add these water pumps to my 2-6-0 Russian Iron mogul and to my 4-4-0 Baltimore and Leigh locos. In fact I e-mailed one of the Bachman staff about buying 4 of these pumps because they aren't offered in the parts listing on the website.

I would have liked to discuss these pumps as well as other Bachmann train interests but I must have had tunnel vision  and looked briefly at the booth but moved on MY LOSS I was there both days!

I had in my mind to find a well used inexpensive passenger coach or combine I could make into a track side dinner among other items.

I enjoyed the show but I'm sorry I missed talking with you-all at the Bachmann booth.

Later
Dr Who12

Dr Who 12

I called to order the water pumps on the 2-6-0 locos but they aren't available.

Later Dr Who12