Operating Conventional DC locos with DCC locos

Started by jimcabc, March 27, 2018, 02:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimcabc

I have a conventional DC powered HO layout with several power blocks.  This being a logging railroad, I have both an old Roundhouse DC Lima Shay, as well as a new Bachmann DCC ready Climax.  The differences in power requirements make operating these two locomotives together on the same block/track possible.  Operating the DC Shay at close to scale speed is not enough to more than turn the on the headlamps of the DCC Climax.  So the Shay can move rolling stock around to the Climax, before returning to a block where power can be turned off to the Shay and the Climax can do its work with increased voltage. My question is whether or not supplying DC power to the Climax at a voltage too low to operate the motor can somehow damage the electrical components of the Climax?  I would not think it would make a difference, but I had a recent electrical failure of the Climax, possibly a communications board.

Trainman203

Old technology and new technology just don't mix.  I'd say get rid of the old engines but then, geared steam engines appear to be a disappearing part of Model railroading as we once knew it.  Maybe the right resistor in the New engines might help?  Or remotoring the old ones?

jimcabc

I understand, but the Shay is essential to my logging railroad.  I will just keep the two locos running together at a minimum.