News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Railroad, sorta

Started by Ken Huck, March 28, 2018, 08:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Huck

Just replacing the pictures that were mysteriously deleted from the original post.

This first photo is a 4X4 section that I saved from my earlier layout.  I wanted to keep the 'matchstick' trestle and
just re-landscaped around it.

Just more of the same from a different angle.

More of the same, but now all three levels are one continuous loop.  

Some new 'tree making' technique I dumbed into.  On the upper right you can see the 'distance' created
by using 'forced perspective'.  By using the smallest bits of landscaping material at the top and gradually
getting bigger the lower you go, you give the image of distance.

The far distant hill just in front of the painted 'sky' backdrop is a single thickness piece of cardboard with
landscape foam glued directly onto it.

More to follow.

Ken

jonathan

Nice.

I hope you continue to share your progress.  Thanks for letting us look.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

Is that a MOP caboose?  Are you modeling the Mopac like me?

Ken Huck

It's a Hallmark brass import.  I don't model MoPac, but I do model their rolling stock.
My layout is pure fantasy.

Ken Huck

It's a Hallmark Model brass import.  I don't model MoPac, but I do model their rolling stock.
My layout is pure fantasy.

Ken Huck

For some reason I was unable to put this photo in the above text last night.  I did have to reset the decal
because it was heavily 'silvered'.  First I cut the decal between the sheathing and apply several coats of decal
solvent.  Then I added Elmer's white glue as window glazing, and replaced the trucks with some from Kadee.

...And a little weathering.

Must've been a long day

Trainman203

If you want to get rid of that caboose let me know.  I saw cars just like it 60 years ago every day.

Ken Huck

Well, it's been a while since I updated anything on here.  That's because I haven't added any new track or landscaping.
I have been working on a project that will add some scenic interest.

First up:  The VOID. That single line of track. right in front on the left side of the layout.  I didn't just want to add an
apron to the front and nothing beneath.

First, I needed some raw materials and a jig.  Fireplace matchsticks and craft stick (or wide tongue depressors)
should do the trick.

This is what I came up with.

Here the trestle is parallel to the track it will support.

Hope to finish this within the next month or so, will keep you updated.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Outstanding Ken!

Staining that is gonna be a job unto itself. Nice work man.

Sid

Terry Toenges

Is it my computer? I can't see any pictures.
Feel like a Mogul.

Ken Huck

Terry Toenges

That's weird. I can't see any of your pics on the post even from back in March. It's just blank space, no image tags or anything. Since the others are commenting, they must be able to see them.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Ken Huck

Quote from: Terry Toenges on July 04, 2018, 12:01:33 PM
That's weird. I can't see any of your pics on the post even from back in March. It's just blank space, no image tags or anything. Since the others are commenting, they must be able to see them.

Funny, I can't see the first couple from my March post either ! ! !