Main Menu

knuckle couplers

Started by donsch, March 29, 2018, 11:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donsch

Should you and if so how do i lubricate my knuckle couplers

jonathan

I do lubricate. 

I use a powdered graphite lubricant. It comes in a small bottle with a thin metal tube attached.

I quickly and gently "puff" a bit of the powder into the coupler box (draft gear box).  One or two puffs is plenty.  One bottle should last a lifetime... I think.

You don't want to use liquid-type lubricants like oil or grease.  That will become a dirt collection point, which is the last thing you want in the couplers.  Better to do nothing than add any kind of liquid.

Regards,

Jonathan

donsch

Thank you for the info.    On E-z mate couplers do you also do the spring and the knuckle swivel point on the coupler head?

Hunt

Rarely will knuckle couple need lubrication. It is not a scheduled maintenance item.

When needed it is usually swing drag in the coupler box. There use only a dry graphite lubricant.   Example. Kadee No. 231 "Greas-em" Dry Graphite Lubricant or the like.

Trainman203

They don't need lubrication till you start having cars with more than one brand of couplers. 

My advice is to get rid of all plastic couplers and maintain one brand of metal couplers.  Plastic couplers wear out  and can let go at exactly the wrong moment, like in the middle of an upgrade on hidden track.  You haven't lived till you suddenly see the back half of your train come backwards out of the tunnel at 100 mph. 😱😂