News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Consisting two GP40's

Started by Saddletramp, March 30, 2018, 02:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saddletramp

I have consisted two Bachmann EMD GP40 using MRC throttle.  This allows me to run engines but, but have to use a separate throttle with individual engine address to utilize whistle/horn/light 'F' key functions

I see use of CV19 for consist address, but how do I configure position of unit [front, middle, rear] I see CV21/22 for Consist Function Group but find no explanation of how to use.

How do I configure the consist and have ALL functions controlled by one MRC throttle ??

Hunt

Saddletramp,

Click Here for Bachmann HO GP40 Sound Value Equipped supported CVs

There are three methods to DCC consist locomotives.
Basic Consisting method - program all the locomotives in a consist to the same address.
Universal /Old Style/ Consisting stores the consist information in the command station.
Advanced Consisting stores the consist information in each decoder. This method uses CV 19. Not all decoders support CV 19.

Answers to your consisting questions contained in the following.

There is not a Sound Value decoder User's Guide but the following can be used with only a few drawbacks.
Click Here for Step 4: Configuring for Consist Operation, page 21 - 23

Click Here for  "PRODIGY ADVANCE, ADVANCE SQUARED, WIRELESS CONVERSION SET, WIRELESS DCC SYSTEM, ELITE,   AND EXPRESS - TIPS AND TRICKS"
Pick out relevant info you need for your MRC DCC control system. Refer to CONSISTS on page 17, and Advanced Consist, which uses CV 19, starts on page 20

Saddletramp

Appreciate all the responses.
I've read about CV19 and its usage. If I configure a consist (01) using the MRC throttle doesn't that make assignment (01) to CV19 ?

My issue is once configured with the throttle I can control movement using The consist address but not any accessories such as horn/whistle/lights. I use a separate throttle and the engine address

Hunt

Quote from: Saddletramp on April 01, 2018, 10:53:26 PM
. . .
My issue is once configured with the throttle I can control movement using The consist address but not any accessories such as horn/whistle/lights. I use a separate throttle and the engine address

You have to program CV 21 and CV 22  to define how you want each engine individually to respond to function commands sent to the consist address.

Refer to Consist Function Enable, page 21 in the  User's Guide.

Saddletramp

From my web searches, I thought CV21 and CV22 were where I configured the functions, but wasn't sure till you confirmed it.  Another search tonight found info that says if I want all functions, enter 255 as the value for both CV21, CV22.

So if I want to consist two GP40's, and configure the first GP40 CV19 at 01, the second GP40 REVERSE CV19 at 129, and both the first GP40 CV21 and CV22 to 255, I should be able to run consist with LOCO 0001, and F1 should activate the whistle, F2 should sound horn, etc

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.  I was pretty sure I was on the right track, but was unsure of all the pieces/values.  Will remove my current consist config and give it a try

Hunt

Again - Refer to and use the infomation in Consist Function Enable, page 21 in the  User's Guide.
You should realize 255 is not a valid value for CV22. 

Saddletramp

Apparently I was reading the wrong user guide/manual(s) and could not find what you were referring to.   Thanks for correcting me. I saw one web page that described adding the functions desired and applying that to CV21/22 and then saw another stating if you want them all, configure to 255.

Will attempt to configure them later today and am hoping for success now that you have provided me with good info.  I had DC layouts, but this is first DCC one and I'm nervous about screwing up the sound card beyond use. 

Thanks again !!

Hunt

From my first reply,

There is not a Sound Value decoder User's Guide but the following can be used with only a few drawbacks.
Click Here for Step 4: Configuring for Consist Operation, page 21 - 23

Saddletramp

Successfully configured my GP40s and everything works correctly with CV19 (consist addr) set to 010 and 138.  CV21/22 work correctly

Proceeded to my Bachmann F9 A and B units, but messed up and used 020 for consist (CV19 and then realized that was the unit address - A / 220   B / 221).  Now when I set the A unit on the main track, I hear engine noises, but nothing functions. The B unit does nothing.

Tried to reset CV19 to 0, but nothing seems to register on the A unit. I set up my MRC Prodigy Express 2 to include a single detachable 3 ft program track but it doesn't seem to show any power.

Do you know of where I could send these two units to have them reset ? I will be calling around the Portland Or area tomorrow to see if I can find someone.  I live in a remote area with nearest hobby store, over 100 miles away

Hunt

Properly setup --- When your DCC system is in programming mode there is not any power on the programming track except monetarily when DCC commands sent.

Do you have Bachmann HO F9 A and B units?  If so, box is labeled DCC ON Board and those locomotives do not have DCC sound and the decoder does not support Advanced Consisting, which uses CV19. Once it is determined what decoder is in the locomotives you have, then I will give you the procedure to reset the decoders so you can start over. 

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on April 04, 2018, 11:16:58 AM
. . .
Do you have Bachmann HO F9 A and B units? 

Instead of F9 is waht you have Bachmann HO F7A and F7B DCC Sound Value?

Saddletramp

Yes, they are in fact 7A and 7B.  My Bad

I was panicking because I thought I had assigned same consist number (020) as the engine address, but the engine numbers are 220 and 221 so I haven't messed things up.   I created a consist with the Prodigy handset again and it functions as it did before, movement with one throttle consist addr and whistle/horn/etc with a second throttle using engine addr

Because I have whistle, horn, fan sounds, etc., doesn't it have/support CV19 ??

Was going to proceed to configure them but will wait after you think they may not configure as the GP40s did

Hunt

Start over  --  Using the programming track reset each locomotive decoder CVs to their factory default value.  Once decoder reset and you can run each locomotive using address 3, they can now be consisted.  Use the same programming procedure used to consist the GP40s.

Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program CV 8 to 8
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on **

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight will blink simultaneously 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or lights come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

** Alternate method to cycle power to the decoder.
Carefully tilt locomotive to the side until all wheels loose contact with one rail. Hold the tilted position for at least 10 seconds.  Now lower locomotive  back to normal position on rail.

Saddletramp

With my lack of knowledge.....i am curious

Using MRC [CONSIST SET], I have both F7A and F7B consisted to addr 001 again.  I can run them together as consisted forward backward, hearing appropriate motor noises.  Using a second MRC Throttle with engine addr of 220, I can activate the light and sound both the horn/whistle, which is all I want for sound.

So if I already have them consisted in the address I desire, [001], can i simply configure CV21/22 for the functions ??

I have tried repeatedly to use my program track before without any indication of change on the power unit, so I have been using Main Track configuration