News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 truck Shay

Started by Dusterdave, April 03, 2018, 07:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusterdave

I recently purchased a 3 truck Shay item#82498. I am new to this. I have not lubricated yet so can not run. Does this have sound? Also it states it is DCC ready. What do I need to convert to DCC?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Dave,

Your shay is DCC ready, meaning that you would have to install a DCC receiver.  It does not have sound, but aftermarket sound can be added.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dusterdave

Thanks Bill. I'm assuming a dcc receiver is the same as a decoder. Is this a plug and play? If I add sound,is that also plug and play? I'm seeing online people tearing units apart to add dcc and sound and hoping that is not necessary. Thanks again, Dave

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Dave,

Decoder is the correct term, I used receiver because I use battery power and the Revolution radio control system rather than DCC.  I believe the decoder is plug and play, the sound is not plug and play and would have to be wired in separately. It is not all that difficult to add sound.  I added Phoenix sound to mine about 10 years ago. There are other brands of sound systems available now that were not when I put mine in.

Having gone to Battery/rc, I am not up to speed on DCC so hopefully Kevin Strong, or Stan Ames  will see this and give a better response than I can.  They are experts on DCC.  Kevin is also very knowledgeable about some of the newer sound systems.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dusterdave

Bill, thanks for the info.
Hopefully Stan and Kevin will see this and give me some advice. You have set me on the right path.
Dave

StanAmes

Do you have the instruction packet that came with the 3 truck shay?

If not they are online

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/82494.pdf

The instructions show how to install the Bachmann/Soundtraxx decoder.  You can use the same instructions as a guide to install any other brand of DCC decoder.   The only difference is that you will need to use individual wires rather than the function plug.

Hope that helps

Stan

Dusterdave

Thanks Stan,
Do I need 2 decoders-one for sound and one for motion? I'm assuming that the Bachman/Soundtraxx decoder does all functions. Since Soundtraxx eliminated the Econami 4A, I'm guessing the Tsunami is the recommended decoder.
Dave

Dusterdave

Okay I think I see what to do now. Wires 1,2,3 and 4 move from the main board to the decoder. There is another plug that is unused on the dc version that plugs into the other side of the decoder. Add a speaker and job done.
That is relatively easy if I'm correct.
Stan, do you recommend the Tsunami?
Thanks, Dave

StanAmes

There is a function plug in the locomotive.  In DC mode this set of wires is plugged into to the board in the locomotive.

I DCC mode these wires are connected to the decoder.  2 of these wires are speaker wires.  The speaker is in the 3rd truck.

A single motor/sound decoder is fine and 4+ amp decoder will work.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Dusterdave

Thanks Stan and Bill for the help. Sounds like a fairly easy conversion.
Dave

rdailey1202

For $60 you can buy the combination DCC Decoder / Soundcard from Bachman parts. It's pretty simple to install. I did this myself with a ebay 55 ton shay I bought.

I installed an airwire converter60 and battery to mine.