How to install decoder into Decapod?

Started by nemesys, April 10, 2018, 11:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nemesys

I got a Decapod a few weeks ago. DCC ready. So, I just got the Bachmann decoder for it. However, there is no harness, no wires with the decoder. How am I supposed to connect it?

jonathan

I am curious as to what kind of "Bachmann" decoder you have.

There are decoders embedded in PCBs (an electronics board) that are used for some diesel installs.

Typically, the standard Bachmann EZ decoder comes with connector wires at a minimum.  I purchase the decoders that come with the 8-pin plug already attached to the wires.

Can you describe the decoder you have?

Regards,

Jonathan

Hunt

HO scale

Click Here for info. You add writing harness with 8-pin plug or hardwire.

Hunt

Correction
Quote from: Hunt on April 10, 2018, 04:28:31 PM
HO scale

Click Here for info. You add writing wiring harness with 8-pin plug or hardwire.

rogertra

Quote from: Hunt on April 10, 2018, 04:36:26 PM
Correction
HO scale

Click Here for info. You add writing wiring harness with 8-pin plug or hardwire.

There is an option to edit your post if you make an error.  Like I have just done to add:- It's called "Modify" in the top right hand corner of your post.   :)

Roger T.

Hunt

Quote from: rogertra on April 12, 2018, 12:54:42 AM

There is an option to edit your post if you make an error.  Like I have just done to add:- It's called "Modify" in the top right hand corner of your post.  :)

Roger T.

Thanks Roger T.

I am aware of and know how to use all the features of the Simple Machines Forum (SMF)  software used by Bachmann for this forum. What you are unaware of is I do not have acceess to a few of the features you and others do, which includes the Modify feature. 

Hunt

More. . . 
Thus without Modify for corrections I use the Quote feature as follows,

Quote from: Hunt on April 12, 2018, 06:02:59 PM

Thanks Roger T.

I am aware of and know how to use all the features of the Simple Machines Forum (SMF)  software used by Bachmann for this forum. What you are unaware of is I do not have acceess access to a few of the features you and others do, which includes the Modify feature. 

nemesys

HO scale

Click Here for info. You add writing harness with 8-pin plug or hardwire.

Well, thank you but i was already aware of the installation PDF. Problem is, I don't have a harness and I can't find any. Where do I find those harnesses?

Hunt

Bachmann Trains is one of many places selling a DCC 8-pin plug wiring harness.

Click Here

nemesys

OK, so, I got a Soundtraxx harness with the 8-pin plug. I followed the instructions to solder the wires to the appropriate pins on the decoder. Now, when I put the loco on my programming track, the Soundtraxx PTB-100 board lights up the red LED steadily, indicating a fault with the wiring. Knowing that, I did review the connections I made and I believe they are correct. I mean, it's not very hard with the colored wires to hook them to the right place on the decoder.

So, once I got the decoder in, is there anything else I need to do?

nemesys

Quote from: nemesys on June 28, 2018, 02:19:33 PM
OK, so, I got a Soundtraxx harness with the 8-pin plug. I followed the instructions to solder the wires to the appropriate pins on the decoder. Now, when I put the loco on my programming track, the Soundtraxx PTB-100 board lights up the red LED steadily, indicating a fault with the wiring. Knowing that, I did review the connections I made and I believe they are correct. I mean, it's not very hard with the colored wires to hook them to the right place on the decoder.

So, once I got the decoder in, is there anything else I need to do?

Anybody?

Trainman203

I don't install my own decoders  , but I suspect a Google or YouTube search will give you what you need.