Main Menu

Movie train production

Started by Trainman203, April 11, 2018, 09:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

I don't think it was a Steven Segal film

Terry Toenges

That's Steven Seagal.
The only train thing with George Segal that came up when I Googled  was Bridge At Remagen.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Narrow Margin. But it's Gene Hackman.
"Kathryn Weller: I don't want you. Just her. You understand. It's strictly business. You should have taken the money.
Caulfield: You know what I like about you? You're tall. "

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100224/?ref_=ttqt_qt_tt
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Sorry, it's been a very long time since I saw that movie.  But I'll never forget that scene. 😱😂

Trainman203

This was a remake.  Trailer for the original, with steam run bys.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZtFTnm8GnY

J3a-614

Terry Toenges

I ran across the original Narrow Margin trailer in my searches.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

I checked out "runaway " with Ben Johnson, and the synopsis is much like Unstoppable, with winter thrown in like the later "Runaway Train."

Trainman203

Watching "Runaway " now, about half through.  Intolerably corny, stilted, and predictable, but the railroad component isn't too bad.  The GP30s are cool , looks like an old covered wagon B unit trails them, and at least some of the cars are nice old heavyweights.

They blow the horn way too much, it is a cheezy  dub-in, and at one point the engineer says something to the effect that he is going to put air into the train line to apply the brakes, exactly the opposite as to how air brakes really work.

The passengers are a predictable mix of heros, cowards, and scoundrels, an unhappily married couple, etc etc.

Will report at the end.

Trainman203

James Garner was in a made for TV movie around 1979 or so about a steam roundhouse employee about to lose his job because of dieselization.  Magma Arizona 2-8-2 no. 7 was in it.  I can't find it anywhere.  Anyone know anything about it?

Terry Toenges

You really should buy Larry Jensen's books. :)
I don't know off hand. When I make my next sit down visit to the bathroom library, I'll check in them and see if I can find it. I seem to remember a pic of James Garner from some video.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

It was The Long Summer of George Adams, originally a book.  No clip of the entire show on YouTube.

Trainman203

Not much else to say about Runaway.  Railroady:  accurate grade crossing horn signals .  Unrailroady:  they aren't blown at grade crossings.  Railroady:  basic radio chatter.  Unrailroady:  they never mention train identity numbers;  ie "dispatcher calling the work train " or " engineer on the ski train."

One plus to mention..... They didn't dress up the engineer in striped overalls and cap and red bandanna.  He looked like post steam engineers really look, except that today most are a lot younger than this guy was.

Terry Toenges

Larry's book "The Movie Railroads" from 1981 has 7 pages on Magma. I didn't see anything in any of the books about James Garner. Magma was used in How The West was Won and a few others - Cheyenne Autumn, 26 Men, Powder Keg, Young Billy Young, Blood On The Arrow and The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean movie with Ava Gardner.
Magma Arizona RR was built by Magma Copper Co.
San Manuel Arizona RR connected San Manuel Div. of Magma Copper Co.  with So. Pac. and it was used for pilot for Young Maverick. Garner had a brief part in the first episode.
The Long Summer Of George Adams (1982) was done on Texas State RR. according to Wikipedia. Texas State RR bought Magma's #7 in '74 and rehabbed it in '78.
https://www.amazon.com/Summer-George-Adams-James-Garner/dp/B00LO1T5BY
There are a few pay sites where it can be viewed but i couldn't find any free ones.

Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

I visited the Magma Arizona in 1965 in the last couple of years it was in steam.  Saw 2-8-0 no. 5 on the run to the SP interchange and switching the interchange .  Watched from on top of the water tower.  Lonesome vast western desert vintage railroading at its finest!