News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dimensions???

Started by Otter, April 12, 2018, 09:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otter

What are the dimensions of a Spectrum G scale 4-4-0 locomotive.   Of special interest is the exact height...I have only 6 and 3/4 inch clearance.  Thanks

StanAmes

The highest part of the 4-4-0 is its whistle which is about 7 1/2 inches above the rail.

If the whistle is shortened or removed the next highest point is the smokestack which is about 7 1/8 above the rail.

If you shorten the stack the headlight is about 6 3/8 above the rail

Hope that helps

Stan

Otter

Thanks...

Is it difficult to remove the whistle and shorten the stack?

Joe Zullo

You could take some air out of the tires. ::)

Hunt

Quote from: Otter on April 13, 2018, 03:39:30 PM

Is it difficult to remove the whistle and shorten the stack?

Since you have to ask, you should not be attempting to do it. 

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Otter,

As painful as it may be, I recommend making the effort to increase the size of your tunnels over modifying the loco or other locos.  Sometime back I made a long tunnel of concrete and cinder blocks.  It was too low because of a simple mismeasurement on my part.  I foolishly tried lowering the floor of the tunnel, but without a way to provide adequate drainage or to keep the floor good and level, the tunnel flooded all the time. I tried to tunnel down from the top to better level the center and that failed.  I spent so much time trying stuff that never worked, that I could not see the forest for the trees.  At last it hit me!!! ::)  I needed to tear out the entire tunnel and start over.  After several months of trying and failing with all those other plans, it only took me four days to tear out the tunnel and completely replace it. Since the track looped over the tunnel I did have to do some track alterations to maintain the grade, but in the end that is what I should have done in the first place and avoided all the agony.  In the end it was worth it as I acquired more locomotives and all of them fit fine in my new tunnel.

Just saying......

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

StanAmes

Bill is correct.

Increasing your clearance is always the best solution.  6 1/2 inches is rather low.

If this can not be done and you still wish to run the 4-4-0 you would need to do the folllowing

1) remove the whistle.  It is rather high.  You can always get a short whistle through one of the parts places and saving the original one will always let you replace it later if your clearances are raised.

2) to lower the smokestack you would need to cut about 1/2 inch out of the middle of the stack and then glut a plastic rod inside so that the 2 pieces of the stack are held together.  Not difficult but it will change the overall looks of the locomotive.

R2 or R3 radius track is recommended.  I have not tried the 4-4-0 on R1 radius to know if it will work or not.

Hope that helps.

Stan