News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Packs

Started by Shay5, April 18, 2018, 10:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay5

I'm setting up a layout with two loops. I have just received your 284 Berkshire Steam Locomotive & Tender W/DCC Sound Valve. I read the starter's guide & confused. The guide talks about using a 12Volt DC power pack or a NMRA-Compatible DCC Command Station.
I was looking at the TECH 7 Ampac 780 Transformer. I am not sure if this one is to STRONG to use for the BERKSHIRE w/sound and power the inside loop. Could you please point to a good Transformer?
If I would need 1 for each loop, please let me know and suggest good ones.\
Thanks Randy

jonathan

I have an older version of this, Tech 480.  I use it to control an inner loop and outer loop.

The max output on mine is 14 volts.  I see your version has a max of 20 volts.

If you are careful (not cranking it up all the way, all the time), you should be ok.  I don't run my sound locos on my home layout on a regular basis, but when I do, I have no problems.

Usually, decoders have a built-in overload system. The loco will temporarily shut down to protect itself, if you feed it too many volts or amps.

When you run the sound-value Berk, check the tender every now and then.  If the tender starts to feel a bit warm, or hot, give it a rest for a while.

These are dual mode (DC or DCC), but they run much better on a DCC system.  Just sayin'

Regards,

Jonathan

Shay5

Jonathan,
Thanks for your info :) :)