Hornby Discontinues Thomas Range

Started by Cheeky_ULP, April 23, 2018, 10:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainshockeylifE

Rodimus Supreme

And when was the last time anything was released in the line that was new? That's my point. I haven't seen them make anything *new* in a while.

JLK2707

I'm honestly not surprised that Hornby discontinued their thomas range forever this time. After all, they hadn't released anything new since the range was reintroduced back in 2015.

TrainshockeylifE

They also just come out with CGI faces and a birthday Thomas.

Kemptown Branch

They are also making their own G Scale Thomas this year as well.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on April 24, 2018, 03:31:14 PM
What products are Lionel making currently? Because I haven't seen any in a while.

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on April 25, 2018, 12:20:28 PM
And when was the last time anything was released in the line that was new? That's my point. I haven't seen them make anything *new* in a while.

Lionel is actually coming out with this G scale set for 2018.  By the way, sweet dreams...

I'm a little surprised that Lionel actually decided to make a G scale Thomas set considering the fact that Bachmann owns the large scale rights.  Then again, I think the loophole here is that the Lionel Thomas is not true G scale nor is it your typical DCC or analog operated locomotive.  In other words (just like the O gauge range), it's RC powered and requires batteries.

A few years back now I purchased the G scale Polar Express set Lionel made (mainly because it's the only G scale set on the market) and to be fair, I wasn't really that impressed with it.  The sound features in the locomotive were very nice, but there were many other aspects of the set that were lacking in more ways than one.  I wouldn't doubt that the new Thomas & Friends set probably offers some if not all of the same qualities, but again it wouldn't be anything to write home about.  When also considering the set will probably be around $100-$150, my recommendation would be to spend that little bit extra on an actual electric train set rather than a cheap knockoff.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Angelob6660

Those sets would be easier for little kids to handle. And probably easier for the parents who don't like to spend extra money on electric trains. Since we all know how long these trains will last before they get broken within a 3-9 year old.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Plow Bender on April 26, 2018, 12:22:34 PM
Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on April 24, 2018, 03:31:14 PM
What products are Lionel making currently? Because I haven't seen any in a while.

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on April 25, 2018, 12:20:28 PM

Lionel is actually coming out with this G scale set for 2018.  By the way, sweet dreams...

I'm a little surprised that Lionel actually decided to make a G scale Thomas set considering the fact that Bachmann owns the large scale rights.  Then again, I think the loophole here is that the Lionel Thomas is not true G scale nor is it your typical DCC or analog operated locomotive.  In other words (just like the O gauge range), it's RC powered and requires batteries.

A few years back now I purchased the G scale Polar Express set Lionel made (mainly because it's the only G scale set on the market) and to be fair, I wasn't really that impressed with it.  The sound features in the locomotive were very nice, but there were many other aspects of the set that were lacking in more ways than one.  I wouldn't doubt that the new Thomas & Friends set probably offers some if not all of the same qualities, but again it wouldn't be anything to write home about.  When also considering the set will probably be around $100-$150, my recommendation would be to spend that little bit extra on an actual electric train set rather than a cheap knockoff.

-Rusty
Oh that's horrifying. XD But yeah, that...wasn't asked for...by anyone. So, nothing new in O Scale though since Diesel/Arry and Bert? How long would they be able to hold the O Scale license without releasing something new?

thomasj219

As long as they are releasing products. Making new ones has nothing to do with it. They would either have to give it up or have it taken.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.