News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Metal wheel swap?

Started by dragonbusa, April 27, 2018, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonbusa

Hey people, I want to start swapping out my plastic wheels on my rolling stock. ( I have cars from many dif. manufactures) How do you know what size to use ? Ive seen 33" 36" so what the trick? thanks for any help.

rogertra

70 ton cars generally have 33" wheels.  100 ton cars 36" wheels while some intermodals have 28" wheels.

That's at least a good guideline.

Exchanging plastic wheels for metal wheels is a good idea.  Metal wheels run cleaner, run freer and add weight to the car.  All good things.

Cheers

Roger T.

dragonbusa

Thanks Roger t, Good info.

jward

What Roger said generally holds true fro prototype freight cars. On models you may find most using 33" wheels, even those where the real ones used 36. On these cars, using the larger wheels will interfere with the underframe, possibly causing derailments. MDC ore gondolas and McKean 100 ton hoppers are notable examples. Where this is a problem, I generally use 33" wheels. Good operations to me are far more important than strict prototype accuracy.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

I agree with Jeff. Because of the tighter curves that have to be dealt with, most HO freight cars use 33" wheels, whether the prototype did or not, to clear the underframe. Most HO passenger cars use 36" wheels, with the notable exception of IHC & Rivarossi, which used 31" wheels. They can be replaced with 36" wheels if you carve off the brake shoes, or you can get 31" metal wheels from these guys: http://www.ihc-hobby.com/product/4355-H36

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Quote from: Len on April 28, 2018, 10:11:53 AM
I agree with Jeff. Because of the tighter curves that have to be dealt with, most HO freight cars use 33" wheels, whether the prototype did or not, to clear the underframe. Most HO passenger cars use 36" wheels, with the notable exception of IHC & Rivarossi, which used 31" wheels. They can be replaced with 36" wheels if you carve off the brake shoes, or you can get 31" metal wheels from these guys: http://www.ihc-hobby.com/product/4355-H36

Len

36" minimum visible radius and 30" in staging.  Wheel sizes are no problem unless you are using toy train track radii.  24" or less.

Cheers

Roger T.

jward

Not all of us have the room for larger radii, or even the inclination to use them. I'd much rather have a mountain railroad with 24r curves than straight track along the walls.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bbmiroku

Unless it's plastic rails it's still model railroad track, not toy stuff.  I use mostly 18r myself with 15r yards (although it's mostly switch tracks and straights, the wye is 15r) with some 22r thrown in for easements.  But I use "old time" equipment, so the effect isn't as bad as 18r with current passenger cars.

RAM

one easy check if you are not sure if you need 33 or 36.  Before you start check the couplers. Change the wheels, check the couplers.  If they are too high or low, you have the wrong wheel size.

Jhanecker2

To all : Good Morning !!!   If using wheels with metal shafts , I like to make sure that the insulated  wheels  are all on the same side of the cars .  I am not sure if it makes a difference  on most cars made for  DC    and   DCC , but  I modified  some  Maerklin  Cars made  for AC operation  and it made a difference there . Also since  they were  from their  "  Harry  Potter "  line  I need to use   42 inch  HO  scale  wheels .   Thankfully they had   NEM 362 couplers so converting to  Knuckle Couplers  ( Bachmann )  was easy .  Cars worked  well after that and were used on various engines .   John2.

rogertra

Looks as though all the metal wheels I have are either insulated on both sides or have plastic axles, if that is possible?  But I don't care, I just install them and as freight cars, passenger cars and cabooses don't pick up power, it doesn't matter.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

Jeffery I have a different opinion of the ideal model railroad for me.  It should be in a building 10' wide x 1000 feet long!!!😂😂. I'm into prairie ag branches.  A lot harder to do convincing scenery when the horizon is long and the sky is big. 

indian_hills_r_r

I went to harbor freight and got their inexpensive digital caliper. I then measured each plastic wheel then got the same size metal wheel. quick and simple. it works for me

ebtnut

Be aware that the axle lengths of the replacment wheelsets need to be the same as the originals.  This length is not standard.  If the replacements are too long they will bind in the truck frames.  If too short they will fall out. 

rogertra

Quote from: ebtnut on May 02, 2018, 10:45:01 AM
Be aware that the axle lengths of the replacment wheelsets need to be the same as the originals.  This length is not standard.  If the replacements are too long they will bind in the truck frames.  If too short they will fall out.  

I have replaced hundreds of wheels yet have never found any with axles too short.  The issues is some trucks do not have the axle box deep enough to accept the "standard" metal axle, the nane of which escapes me right now.  It's usually low end, toy train models, with that issue.

Cheers

Roger T.