News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pegasus motor...

Started by Warflight, April 27, 2018, 09:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warflight

So I need to fine a new motor for my Bachmann Pegasus 4-2-0 Norris engine. The old one burned out.

I shot an e-mail to Bachmann's parts department to see if it's in stock, and this is the reply:

<<Hello,

My suggestion to you would be to go onto the Ask the Bachmann Forum online at the website.

See what the modelers can tell you.

Cynthia
PARTS DEPARTMENT
Bachmann Industries
1400 E. Erie Avenue
Philadelphia PA 19124
www.bachmanntrains.com
www.parts@bachmanntrains.com
Phone: 1-800-356-3910
Phone: 215-533-1600
Fax: 215-533-1650>>

Okay... so... do any of the modelers here know if Bachmann has the motor and worm gear I need in stock?

(strange way to look for a part in stock, but... I'll play)

Hunt

Seems Cynthia is advising you Bachmann Parts does not have motor for the locomotive you have.

If you wish to continue with Bachmann, contact Bachmann Service Dept and ask if the motor for the John Bull can be used. Do not be surprised if they do not know.

Click Here   Motor for HO John Bull

Warflight

It's the same motor, BUT, the worm gear is a bit too big, plus, it's on the wrong side of the motor.

The Gandy Dancer has it on the proper side, but, the worm gear is still too big. I found a few more in the parts catalogue that is the same motor, just the wrong worm gear.

Oh, and I tried removing the worm gear on my Norris motor, but, it doesn't come off, even with an NWSL gear puller.

Unfortunately.

What I'm probably going to have to do, is buy a Lafayette off of eBay, and strip the motor from it for my Pegasus. (I did too much work on the Pegasus to not try to save it... plus, I plan to put DCC and sound into it)

Warflight

Oh, and I checked with NWSL for a replacement motor, but the worm gear is, once again, an issue, because it's such a weird size.

Terry Toenges

It looks like they also have the motor for the Dewitt Clinton.
Does your Pegasus look like either of these?
John Bull

Dewitt Clinton

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

It looks like you were posting while I was.
Feel like a Mogul.

Warflight

Yes. It is the exact same motor, but, the worm gear is on the wrong side, and how the motor goes in, it's supported by the plastic fire box, so it's measurements have to be very specific... meaning, I can't flip it like that.

Here's the actual motor taken from the Pegasus:

Warflight

The DeWitt Clinton has the right worm gear, while the Gandy Dancer has the right orientation of the motor. I was hoping the parts people could help me out with that, seeing how they have the parts to do it... but they told me to ask here instead.

I would have asked repair, but the last time I had an issue and talked to them, they would only offer a replacement of a whole discontinued loco with a completely different loco (I have a George Washington that was wired wrong, and they offered to replace it with a non-George Washington engine, which defeats the purpose of spending all of that money on a collectable set... apparently the repair department doesn't actually do repairs... they just replace)

Warflight

My roommate pointed out that it looks like I'm complaining... I just want to assure folks, I'm not complaining. I just thought the response was funny is all. I had been talking about this on a few forums, and a couple of forums told me to contact Bachmann parts, because even though it isn't listen, there is a slight chance they have it, or know of something compatible.

So forums said to ask parts, and parts replied by telling me to ask forums... that just struck me as hilarious is all! (okay, I'm easily amused)

An update though... GREAT NEWS!

So, I wasn't able to remove the worm screw before, and even tried a gear puller, however, today, while going through the tool drawer, I ran across a gear puller that Terry sent me a while back... it was a different sort of puller that uses a pin... the pin was a bit fat, however, I have a box of record needles here (I restore Victrola Talking Machines, and seeing how you need to change the needle with every record, I have a zillion (spell check says that's a word) steel needles, new, and used) so I grabbed a needle, stuck it into the bolt, lined it up with the gear, and pop it went!

That being said, it changes everything!

Now... do I take apart one of my Gandy Dancers (I have six of them) OR, do I buy a new Gandy Dancer motor from the parts store?

You know what? I'm gonna order a new motor! (besides, children LOVE playing with the Gandy Dancers when I set up tracks at the Steampunk Convention)

Len

Have you tried heating the worm to break it loose from the motor shaft? The brass worm will expand more than the steel shaft, and should break loose, even if someone put it on with flywheel cement. I find a small propane torch, or large solder iron (45W or more), generally works.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Warflight

It's off! It was just on really tight, and I was using the wrong tool for the job originally. I thought I was using a gear puller for model trains, but I was using a gear puller for a Victrola. (which doesn't use the pins)

Repairing old Victrolas is my other hobby.

Once I found the right tool for the job (found it completely by accident... it's going in with the regular tools now) it worked.

Now, I can buy a new motor from Bachmann (the Gandy Dancer uses the exact same motor... I checked it against one of my Gandy Dancers, and then checked on the site) and easy peasy.

Unfortunately I have to wait until payday. I have $16 in my account, and the motors are $11, but after shipping and tax, it's $20. But, payday is only next week, so, I'll be set then!

I think what I'm going to do, is run wires from the motor the second I get it, and separate wires from the wipers on the driver, so that when it's all together, I can have thoose four wires going to the tender, and be ready for DCC on it.

Terry Toenges

I was going to go out to the garage and look for the puller I had and send it to you but I guess I already did. I wanted to wait to see if I could find it before I said something. ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

Warflight

Quite the life sever there, indeed! I didn't even realize I had it until I was going through the tool box, looking for something else! It made my day, to be sure.

Warflight

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!!!!

I got the motor today from Bachmann (I'm in San Diego, and I only ordered it on the 3rd, and it's here today! Dang, Bachmann is FAST!)

The great news? IT'S PERFECT!

So, for anyone who needs to re-motor a Bachmann 4-2-0 "Norris" engine... the Gandy Dancer motors are the exact same motors, just with a slightly different worm gear. Just put your old worm gear onto the new motor!

Also, on another front (same engine) I also got the Digitrax SDN136PS 8 bit sound decoder today as well, that I plan to install into the tender of the Pegasus (I chose Digitrax, because I need to be able to put Norris sounds into the decoder, and I have a PS3Xtra) Anyway... for anyone planning to put DCC and sound into a Norris engine... this decoder FITS! It not only fits perfectly, but, with room to spare (it's a tiny little thing) so I'll be able to put an 8 pin plug in, saving me some headache with hard wiring.

Terry Toenges

That's great news. I'm glad it worked.
I have some 8 pin receptacles in the next box I am sending. I was out there yesterday getting another one ready. It will be a few days.
Feel like a Mogul.