News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Frog Juicers

Started by ejseider, April 28, 2018, 09:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

I recently bought 2 hex frog juicers from Fast Tracks.  I'm using Bachmann EZ Track #4 Turnouts (Bachmann item no. 44558).  I cut the black wire on the underside of my turn-outs, soldered a length of wire on to it, plugged one end into the tab on the underside of the frog, and the other end to the frog juicer. On my set up with the frog juicer energized only one leg of each turnout is energized with respect to the frog, i.e. either the straight leg, or the turn leg.  Therefore my engines are going dead when using the un-energized route.  Once I give them a push to get past the turn-out they are OK until I run them back over the turnout.  Any suggestions as to how to correct this?

Hunt

Frog Juicer is not required. Mechanical switch in trnout polarizes the frog when black wire is connected and green cord properly connected.

Click Here refer to Powering the Frog section.

ejseider

My system is DCC (Digitrax).  I had been having problems with locomotives shorting when I powered the frogs, and stalling when I didn't power the frogs, that's why I got the juicer.  So, if I understand, I should connect the black wire to both the juicer and leave it connected where it connects under the wiring housing.  Correct?

Hunt

Quote from: ejseider on April 29, 2018, 05:13:42 PM
. . .  So, if I understand, I should connect the black wire to both the juicer and leave it connected where it connects under the wiring housing.  Correct?

Incorrect. The turnout "wiring housing" contains the mechanical switch and other components.

Contact Frog Juicer manufacturer or Fast Tracks for wiring. I currently do not have convenient access to a Bachmann E-Z Turnout to check its wiring and any changes needed to use Frog Juicer.

ejseider

OK I see how the internal switch on the turn-out works, but I also see on the package that the turnout came in that it says not to connect the frog if running DCC, hence the need for the juicer.  I have one turnout that is giving me fits.  The fixed rail on the turnout is not connected to the main rails.  On all of my other turnouts, even the ones with plastic frogs, both of the fixed rails in the turnout are electrically connected to the main rails.  I can't see anything different on this one, just that my VOM shows an open circuit, and its only on the straight rail, the curved turn-out fixed rail shows that it is electrically connected to the main rails.  Any idea why this is and how to fix it?

jward

The fix is easy. Simply solder a short jumper wire between the dead rail and the adjacent stock rail. or, as an alternative, you can solder a slide a short brass strip under both rails and solder it to each.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA