News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco Sound Value RS 3 questions

Started by Trainman203, April 29, 2018, 08:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

I just got 2 new engines, an SP S4 and a Santa Fe RS 3.  The S4 is perfect.

The RS 3 I'm not so sure about.  First, the headlight bulbs are set way back in the hood, and look peculiar, unlike the flush mounted on the S4, looks odd.  Second, "forward" runs the long hood to the front, unlike most railroads did.  Third, the engine throttle is not very responsive , engine doesn't move until step 7 or 8 of 128.  Plus overall acceleration is speedier in spots than others. Is all of this normal?  I'm thinking of sending the engine back to the vendor.  I think someone else tried this engine before me and did something to it.

bapguy

I have one and no problems like yours. Do a decoder re-set. I think it's  a value of 8 in CV8. Turn off power to track or lift loco off track. Waite 20 or so seconds and put power back on or lococ on track. Headlights will flash showing the re-sat took. Address will be 3.   Joe

Trainman203

Did both cv 8:8 and 30:2 , no effect.

Your headlights are flush with the hood?  Short hood goes forward?

Trainman203

I already sent it back to the vendor under the 10 day return policy.

plint

I have a DCC no sound RS3 with the same headlight problem.  One end (cab) extends about a half inch over the bulb.  I'm thinking maybe the shell is on Backwards????   Another sound RS3 I had was good.  So, Bachman, do you think the shell is on backwards?     Someday I'll try and reverse it and see.  From what I've read it isn't easy.
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

plint

UPDATE:   Taking the shell off was easy, 5 screws.  The headlight in question was missing a double light lens piece that covers the hole, same as the other end which I saw after removing the shell.  Bachmann didn't have any lens pieces so I made my own drilling 2 lil holes on top of each other in a lil plastic piece I had and glued it in the shell. 
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.