News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Value Class J BAC 53201

Started by cmsluss, May 05, 2018, 04:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsluss

I have an opportunity to purchase a Sound Value Class J 4-8-4 (BAC 53201).

I understand the locomotive is "recommended" for 22 inch minimum radius curves.  How does it perfrom on 18 inch radius curves?

Model Railroader reviewed the model in both DCC and DC mode.  How is the DC performance?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hunt

Running on 18" radius is iffy.

DC performance is OK depends on quality of DC power pack.  Requires 7-8 volts before locomotive will move. Works best in analog mode when using a high quality, electronically regulated power pack, preferably one that supplies smooth, filtered DC power. Older rheostat style power packs and pulse power packs will result in erratic and unreliable operation.

Sound features are limited. Depending on the quality of the power pack's track voltage, some automatic sound functions such as the grade crossing whistle may require a higher sensitivity setting than needed for DCC operation to avoid continual triggering of the sound effect. Thus will  need access to DCC system to set some DC mode features.

ACY

Quote from: cmsluss on May 05, 2018, 04:01:48 PMHow does it perfrom on 18 inch radius curves?
How is the DC performance?
You really will need at least 22" radius, I built a test loop of 18" radius to check and mine continually derails, especially the lead trucks, trailing trucks and tender, the drive wheels do ok.
Analog DC it runs fine but the start voltage is much higher and you will have no access to non-automated sounds.

cmsluss

Thanks much for the input!  I appreciate the help!

Trainman203

Big engines need big radius.  Period.  The smaller the layout, the bigger the engine wanted, it always seems, this kind of inquiry appears almost  weekly.

Big engines on little radius look like toys.  I went to branchline modeling a very long time ago not only because I love branch lines but because little engines look good on small layouts and sharply curves, not like elephants riding bicycles in a circus.  I too wanted big engines until I realized that.

cmsluss

Thanks much!  I grew up in coal country, so I find branch lines fascinating too!  Happy railroading!

Trainman203

On the L&N Eastern Kentucky division, a coal road if there ever was one,  until WW II, the biggest motive power was USRA light 2-8-2's ........ not big engines by any estimation.  I have 5 of them, 2 from the Bach Man, and they don't look out of place at all on 22" R curves and No. 4 switches in one yard. I just got a Sound Value one and it is a fine engine especially performance wise. 

cmsluss

I grew up near the N&W Clinch Valley District.  Single track mainline with long sidings.  I saw lots of coal drags, a weekday local and on Saturday morning, a time freight from Norton to Bluefield with some L&N, Clinchfield and Interstate traffic N&W picked up in Norton.