News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Golden Rail Freight Set

Started by wjack, May 06, 2018, 12:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjack

I have a Bachmann 5 Golden Rail Freight set in HO scale and am trying to find out any information I can about it.  It has a gear driven locomotive with operating headlight and 4 cars, also a blinking light trestle bridge.  I tried doing a search on the internet, but I am not finding this specific set, any information on the set would be appreciated.

Terry Toenges

What info are you looking for?
Feel like a Mogul.

wjack

Any information I can find out would be good.  The set belonged to my dad that recently passed away, when I was going through his house, I found this set under one of the beds.  I don't know if this might be a train he played with as a kid, or something he purchased when he was older.  I plan on keeping the set and maybe using it at christmas around the tree.

Len

It sounds like what you've got is an older "Golden Spike" trainset, with sectional track rather than EZ-track, similar to this:

Sectional track, and the trestles in this set, really need to be fastened down to keep them from moving, or the track sections from seperating.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I figured it was this one. What Len said still applies. If you are going to use it for an oval around the Christmas tree, you would better off getting Bachmann's E-Z track. E-Z Track is mounted on it's own roadbed and locks together. It will be much easier for you to use the train around the tree.

Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

Also, the "5" is really a stylized "B" for Bachmann.

wjack

Yes, Terry that is the set I have.  I will have to look into picking up the ez track.  I assume I can find it at most hobby stores that have trains.  Does anyone know what time period this set was produced?  Thanks everyone for your help.

Terry Toenges

In the early 80's. I would think most hobby stores would have it. I live in area where there are no hobby stores with trains within 70-80 miles so my stuff is all done online.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/bachmann-golden-rail-freight-ho-scale-154555374
Feel like a Mogul.

wjack

Thanks Terry, definitely not something he played with as a kid. He might have bought it to entertain the grand kids.  Looking forward to using it during the holidays.

bbmiroku

Since it's just going to be a Christmas item, you can save money and get the steel railed EZ-Track (black roadbed), but if you have plans on expanding it, use Nickel-Silver (Grey roadbed).