News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Booster Advice Needed

Started by pds1506, January 15, 2008, 10:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pds1506

I have a layout that is approximately 12 x 6.   I am considering if I need a booster for the EZ Command.  From past posts, it appears the EZ Command power supply can run three sound loco's without any problems.  Is that the limit or could you run the three sound loco's along with one or two non-sound at the same time?  Since my layout is not huge, I could only see running three sound loco's at the same time in a consist.   I could posssibly have another loco or two on the outer tracks.  However, since I would likely not have this many loco's on the layout at any one time, is buying a booster overkill?  Thoughts or advice?  Thanks. 

Tim

PDS 1506

Hold off on the booster until you have run three sound units
together.  Not all sound units pull high current.  You may not need to
spend the money just yet.  The volume settings have an effect on the
power draw of a sound decoder also. setting the sound at a lower level
will reduce the load on the power supply.

Having said all that adding a booster will assure that you can run three
sound units at a time and if you want a few extra locos as well.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

THB-DAVE

First see if there is a problem, then try using additional power feeders. Make sure your track connections are tight and the rail is clean.

Dave

grumpy

Instead of buying boosters  just increase your power supply to the controller . Boosters go between the controller and the track and increase the track voltage and the signal and are very expensive . A bigger power supply should cost  $40 - $50.00. I don't know what the max amp would be but in my experience it should handle at least 5 amps. I never did get an answer on this from Mr. Bachman.

Stephen D. Richards

The Bachmann EZ Command controller will handle 5 amps with no problem.  I have both the EZ Command and the 5 amp power booster and I have not had any problems with either.   Stephen