News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam Locos have no pulling power

Started by Rebskipper, May 14, 2018, 07:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Traction tires are an awful idea.  They reduce the number of wheels picking up power and cause locos to wobble.

Best thing to improve traction is to add weight.  That usually means removing the body.  Not an easy task on some steam but well worth it in the end.

Roger T.

Trainman203

I didn't have to add any weight to my engines once the cv,s were set better.  Of course, if you reset the cv's AND add weight, who knows?  Maybe you could pull 100 cars!😂

bbmiroku

Definitely can.  A little secret though.  Double-head your motive power for longer trains anyway.  If you hit a piece of bad track (oversized gap, fouled rails, etc.), the other engine will push the first one through so the train doesn't jump and bump.  Then the first train will pull the second engine through before they both share the load again.  So don't load two engines more than you would the one.

Now, if you're using three engines, you can double your single-engine load because at any given time, two engines will be pulling through clean track (hopefully).

Trainman203

Another thing about double heading.... don't "consist " the engines.  Steam engines were never "consisted " and run by one crew , although, if they were around today , it probably could be done , interesting idea.

Get a friend to run your helper on a second throttle.  Or run both by yourself with a throttle in each hand.  Boy, is it fun, I've done it many times.  Improves your hand/eye coordination!  But with a second person running the helper, you can communicate with the whistle like in the grand old days!  No radio chatter back then!

Trainman203

Jon, I'm here to tell you.  My decapods had virtually no pulling power until I adjusted the motor control CVs.  Now they have a lot more.  What else can I say except it worked for me.

I may add weight yet.  One available location is inside the cab under the roof but above the top of the windows.    Paint it black and it won't be seen easily.

Trainman203

Just saying.....MP  2-10-0 no. 949, no weight  added, just took 14 cars up a straight 1 percentile.  And four of those cars were wood racks carrying Chooch pulpwood loads cast in solid plaster, probably worth 3 or 4 more cars in their own right.

Geared Steam

Quote from: Rebskipper on May 14, 2018, 07:09:30 PM
I have two 2-10-0 Spectrum Steam Locos that have no pulling power up a slight grade;  wheels slip and I cannot pull a decent load of cars.  I have looked to see if i can add weight to the engine but there does not appear to be any space available other than a bit in the tenders.

Are traction tires or Snot an option?  If so, what tires should I be looking at and where would I get them.  Do you put them on all the drive wheels or just a few?   Fairly new at this so I appreciate any help.

Frog Snot works wonders, easy to apply, ready in 30 minutes. A 2-10-0 with tender pickup isn't going to have an issue with power pickup, you only need to snot one axle, one only.
If it wears out you simply apply another coat, I have yet to see them wear out over several years. I have snotted the Bachmann 4-6-0, now it out pulls an Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0, which are known to be great pullers thanks to traction tires, mine are apparently wearing down, and I will replace them with Frog Snot instead. Follow the Youtube instructions exactly, very easy.

Trainman203

The blind no. 3 drivers don't pick up current anyway, put that stuff on them.  I've been thinking about doing that and increasing my Decapod tractive effort to 20 or even 25 cars!