News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lighting the logging caboose

Started by Terry Toenges, May 16, 2018, 05:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I want to put a light in my logging caboose.
Would Bachmann's tender trucks like these (Leaf Spring, Assorted (On30 2-8-0) Tender Truck $13.20 Model: 259XX-00W05) work under the logging caboose since (in the picture) it looks like they already have electric pickups?

Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Aren't these trucks a bit heavy duty for a caboose?
Or is the caboose filled with a bunch of fat conductors? ;D
The standard archbar trucks for boxcars have facilities to accommodate a brass pickup.
the only thing you need are those pickups.

Ton

Terry Toenges

Someone on another site mentioned those. It's hard for me to tell from the picture.
Feel like a Mogul.

Fred Klein

Terry, I don't see why the truck wouldn't work. On narrow gauge (all scales) especially, the car bodies tend to overhang the trucks more, so it would be hard to tell what kind of truck you have under there. I generally prefer to take all the help I can get, so if there is a truck out there that meets your needs with a minimum of work, go for it.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Terry Toenges

I'm just considering all my options now.
I guess I'm going to have to paint the inside since the standard caboose glows a bright red through the walls. I don't imagine these walls are any thicker.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I won a standard On30 caboose on Ebay for $17.50 + $5.99 shipping. I will use the lighting stuff out of it for the logging caboose. By the time I would buy the stuff separately, this will probably be cheaper and easier.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

It's funny how thing work out.
I had ordered a couple caboose interior sets from Valley Model Trains so I could put interiors in my logging caboose and standard caboose. I got an email from them a couple days ago saying everyone's orders were canceled due to health issues.
I received my Ebay bought standard caboose today. I took it apart to see what I was going to have to do to remove the lighting stuff to put in the logging caboose.
I was quite surprised to find that the standard caboose already has a full interior. I did not know that because I never looked in the windows of the one I have.
The new cab. is a darker red and the light doesn't shine through it. It has been relettered and painted. I could keep that body because it's more of an oxide red and I like that color red better than the old cab but that is lettered for "Rockaway Valley". If I try to remove the decals, I might remove the paint.
I can take the new cab interior and cut it down to fit the log cab as well use the lighting stuff and trucks.
I guess it boils down to  - Do I keep the new cab and use my my old cab for a donor car for parts for the logger or do I use the new cab. If I keep the old cab intact, I still have to do some painting on it so the light doesn't shine through the walls. That's means I have to take it apart anyway.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

This sucks. Now I've lost one of the bushings that goes between the truck and the frame. I took the logging caboose apart a few days ago and put all the parts in a box. There's only one bushing in there. I guess I'll have to see if Bachmann has one to sell.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

They come with the pack of three chassis.

Ton

Terry Toenges

Thank Ton. I hate to have to buy 3 chassis just to get a bushing. I emailed Bachmann's parts dept. I'll see what they say.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I found I don't need the whole interior from the full size cab. The cupola seats with cabinets below just snap off the floor as well as the bathroom. the logging cab already has the stove. I just need a couple benches and maybe a small table that I can make with balsa.
The whole project is not going to be as easy as I hoped.  Somewhere along the way, Bachmann changed the electronics in the newer cabs. I'm using the older Ebay cab. It has a screw in bulb where as the newer cab is soldered GOW type bulb.  I have to build a bracket to hold the light and circuit board because the old one partially stuck up in the cupola. It has a pin type connector sticking up and the other end plugs into it. I'll have to make a bracket that will lower it so I center it in the cab and not under the cupola. It also needs to fit under the roof.
I have to cut away part of the inner ceiling to fit in the cupola seats because the logging cab has a wider cupola that goes all the way to the sides.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Why not using a 5mm LED with a 1000 (1K) Ohm resistor.
Not a white one but a yellow or warm white version.
Make a bracket with a 5mm hole and glue the LED in place.
Will last a lifetime.

Ton

Terry Toenges

I thought about doing something like that. It would be less complicated in the long run.  I'm all thumbs when it comes to soldering but I guess I'll try it. I have to find where to buy the LED and resistor.
Do LED's flicker?
I was wondering if there is some kind of anti-flicker device on the market. I've seen schematics to build them.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I'm going to put a figure in the cupola. That's why I wanted the seat up there. Did cupola windows open? Slide open or flip up or out? I wanted him leaning out the window.
Feel like a Mogul.