News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lighting the logging caboose

Started by Terry Toenges, May 16, 2018, 05:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

You can find LEDs for trains here:
http://www.autolumination.com/other-products/lionel-miniature-train-parts/lionel-miniature-train-led-bulbs.htm

The prewired 3mm, 5mm, and 10mm LEDs are at the bottom of the page. Use the 'Choose Color' pull down to select amber.

The larger screw and bayonet base bulbs have the resistor, etc., built into the base. You'll need to provide your own for the prewired LEDs.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Autolum doesn't sell the resistors too.
I'm looking at Aliepxress. https://www.aliexpress.com/
10pcs 5MM Round Top 12V Pre-Wired Resistor White LED Emitting Diode 12V DC 20 CM Pre Wired Diodes Led Lamp Light DIY Retail GHMY for $2.17 They also come in yellow. It doesn't say if it's 1000 ohm resistor.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Quote from: Terry Toenges on June 03, 2018, 09:09:28 AM
Did cupola windows open? Slide open or flip up or out? I wanted him leaning out the window.
It's you railroad so windows will open.
It's as simple as that ;D

Do LED's flicker?
Yes , but you won't see that.
If your DCC is 15 KHz your LED will flicker at 7.5KHZ.
We humans can't even see 24Hz.  Movies.

Ton

Terry Toenges

I realized the log cab side windows are real small anyway so I won't worry about that.
I ordered the LED lights from Aliexpress that are prewired with resistors.
I got the interior done. I had an O scale Arista guy that I didn't have much use for so I stuck him in there. The O scale Arista guy is so much smaller than the O scale Woodland Scenics people.
I built a table and two chairs and a bench/tool box. It's real hard to see inside anyway. I measured my table and chairs and reduced the sizes down to 1/48th and pared them down a little more since room is tight in there. Arista fits in the chair so it's cool.
I did paint the floor flat brown. I painted the cabinets/cupola  seats a lighter brown then went over them with matte spray.

Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

The preresitored LED's you ordered will be very bright.
They will use the correct value resistance required for those LED's, ranging from 470 to 680 Ohms.
I use 1000 Ohm to dim the brightness.

Ton

Terry Toenges

They didn't say how much of a resistor they had. If they are too bright, maybe I can tint the windows.
On the resistors that you use, what wattage are they? When I was looking at resistors, I saw that they come in a variety of wattages.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

1/8th Watt.
average current consumption for a LED is about 20 miliAmpere.
calculation; (overall Voltage minus voltage LED)  devided by 0.02 Ampere gives resistance in Ohm.
Red = 1.9V
Green = 2.1V
Blue = 3.6V

Ton

Terry Toenges

Good news and bad news.
The bad - I heard back from Bachmann this morning about the bushings. The email said, "Bachmann does not have this part available."
The good - I was looking in a box for something this afternoon and found the lost bushing that had apparently fallen in there at some point.
The moral of the story is don't lose your bushings because Bachmann can't replace them.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I got it done. The amber light does seem kind of bright but since the windows are real small, it's not bad.  I might put a dark wash on the windows to tone it down. I'll try to get a "night" pic.
I had pieces of an old coal mine platform and I cut a piece of it.

I ran the wires up through the bathroom floor.

I soldered the wires together and glued the post to the wall of the bathroom.

I put some tape on the wires to keep them from sticking out so I could put the body on.
Feel like a Mogul.

Fred Klein

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

dutchbuilder

nice job.
If you want to tone down the LED just use a resistor with a higher risistence.
2k2 red red red or 3k3 orange orange red.

Ton

Terry Toenges

Ton - For me, it's easier to just darken the windows. There are no electronics stores anywhere close to me. I would have to order something on line. All I would need is one resistor but I don't think you can buy just one. Then I would have to pay postage. I have materials on hand to do a wash.
I already went over it with a dark wash before I put the windows back in. It toned down the newness look. I can just go over it again with the windows in place. That way I don't have to take it apart. I'll get some pics of it soon.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Yes one resistor is a few cents and ordering 1 is a bit difficult.
As a radio ham i have plenty on the shelf.
An alternative is if you have an old radio or amplifier laying around.
The pcb inside has plenty of components.

Ton

p51

Quote from: Terry Toenges on June 03, 2018, 06:08:39 PM
The O scale Arista guy is so much smaller than the O scale Woodland Scenics people.
That's because Arttista makes them in 1/48 scale and Woodland Scenics makes them in 1/43. I have figures made by each on my layout and I have to make sure they're never placed close to one another (same for some Brit-made 1/43 WW2 figures I have; those are usually placed close to the edge of the layout for some basic forced perspective).
-Lee

Terry Toenges

I wish WS would make 1/48 for over here and let their 1/43 be for across the pond since they use 1/43 for O scale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_scale
Feel like a Mogul.