News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G scale Climax locomotives

Started by JNLRET1, May 17, 2018, 10:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanAmes

The board with wires is intended to be used with a DCC decoder or wireless device that has both motor and DC power.

If you look at the DC dummy board you will notice that there are several components on the board.

There are a series of rectifiers on the DC dummy board to let the lights light before the motor begins moving.

There is also a rectifier on the DC dummy board to provide DC voltage to the locomotive.

In your configuration there is no DC voltage being supplied to the locomotive so none of the features which require DC voltage (such as the lights) will work.

The solution for your installation is to put DC voltage back to the locomotive.

This can be achieved by either placing a rectifier from the track inputs to the locomotive + and - wires or hooking the locomotive +- to the sierra battery.  If connected to the battery you will use battery power when there is no DC track voltage on the rails.

Hope that helps

Stan

JNLRET1

Stan

Now I'm really confused.  Are you saying that the jumper board from Bachmann, that I have hooked up to the Sierra Board won't work because I'm not using DCC?  If I use the dummy board I can't get sound. Everything else works fine.

I don't think I can use both the dummy board and the jumper board together.

I really don't understand how to install the rectifier.  The Sierra battery only powers the Sierra system, I think ???

John

Why can't things be easier?

StanAmes

John

Only one device can be placed in the socket at a time.

The jumper board with wires was designed to be used with a device that has motor control, and provided DC power. 

To get the lights to work you must provide DC power to the locomotive.  No DC voltage to the locomotive no lights

The simplest way to install the sierra board is to use the DC dummy board as described in a message I posted on June 4th at 8PM.  This requires you solder two wires to the DC jumper board. plus connect the speaker.

If you desire to use the board with wires then the installation is more complex as it requires you to figure out a way to supply DC voltage to the locomotive.

Stan