Troubles with DCC Sound Value by SoundTraxx

Started by Shay5, May 19, 2018, 12:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay5

I have just started to run my new Nickle Plate Road 765 with DCC Sound Value on board. I am getting the Chugging. I have only heard the whistle for one short blow. I have to have the power pack (TECHII Model Train Rail Power1400) on a very low setting for the Bell to ring maybe one time, I have had ring 2 times one time.
The Tech II power pack will be near to 1/4 of it's rotation before the locomotive may sound the bell.
I am curious if I should be using a different power source or maybe a certain type of wire. I am using the wire from the type couplers that I have cut and connected with screws on my power section.n of track with the screw connecters.
I am also curious if I should be using the re-railing piece to connect power source.

Thanks for all informations

Hunt

HO 2-8-4 Berkshire Nickel Plate Road 765  Sound Value equipped.

That is the best performance you can expect using a DC MRC Tech II Railpower 1400.

It is time to acquire a DCC system that can take full advantage of the capability of the Sound Value decoder factory installed in the locomotive.

ACY

Your problem is fairly simple in nature:
You are utilizing an analog DC controller while locomotive is equipped with a sound decoder for digital command control and is optimized for use with a DCC system/controller.
You have three solutions as I see it.
1. Upgrade to a DCC system whether that be a Bachmann product such as the EZ-Command system, the Dynamis Ultima (more readily available in England) or any other DCC system of your preference. Note that other companies have their own proprietary systems that only have limited DCC capabilities such as MTH's DCS.
2. Remove the sound decoder and speaker and install jumpers.
3. Be content with the status quo

Hunt

Quote from: ACY on May 19, 2018, 01:32:18 PM

. . .
. . .

Not that simple.  Tender is not equipped with PCB with 8-pin socket to accept sound decoder. The tender is equipped with speaker and decoder with 21-pin scoket for add-on EM-1 sound module.

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on May 19, 2018, 02:40:09 PM
Quote from: ACY on May 19, 2018, 01:32:18 PM

. . .
. . .

Not that simple.  Tender is not equipped with PCB with 8-pin socket to accept sound decoder. The tender is equipped with speaker and decoder with 21-pin socket for add-on EM-1 sound module.

Disregard - Had an EM-1 in mind not the 2-8-4 Berkshire.

Hunt

Click Here Last sheet has illustration of the two 3-pin dummy plugs installation. 

Trainman203

1.  Buy an EZ command to run the berk.  2.  Sell your non DCC engines.  You'll never want to run them again after using DCC/Sound. 3.  Keep the DC power pack, it's still good to power accessories.