News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Airbrushing Trains

Started by RkyGriz, May 22, 2018, 04:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RkyGriz

Hi guys! I am new to airbrushing and I'm having a little trouble with the Createx acrylic paints that I'm using. What I've noticed about the Createx Acrylic  that all it takes is a little dampness to make these paints start to come off , and now I'm worried about using water slide decals with this paint. Should I use a clear coat on the box car before applying decals, or should I just try a different type of paint such as Testors oil-based enamel or perhaps the Testors Acrylic paints, both of which are much more durable than the Createx  acrylic paints?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks !
Andrew

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

I have no experience with the paint you are using, but I have successfully used Testors paints in the past.  It is critical to make sure the surface of the car is clean and dry. I use either warm  soapy water to clean the surfaces or rubbing alcohol.  I also usually use a primer coat as well.  I usually clear coat the project, definitely if I have used a matte finish paint.  After applying decals, I then complete the job using Dullcote or Krylon matte finish.

IN my old age I have become lazy and no longer use my airbrush, but use rattle cans instead.  I have found colors that perfectly match my custom Colorado & Kansas Ry paint job. 

Most importantly,  be sure to be safe and use a paint booth or some way to avoid breathing vapors or paint particles.

Have fun,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!