News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

15 Year Old ower Unit

Started by VincentMassi, May 23, 2018, 11:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VincentMassi

My brand new, 2003 Bachman train that I bought yesterday is now running great, but there's another problem.

The power unit will only let me run the train in one direction. The loco runs backwards on other tracks, and my other locos will only run in one direction on the 2003 track. Everything is connected correctly. Any suggestions?

Trainman203

Well .... sounds like the power pack, right?  Borrow one known to be good and run tests or borrow on engine known to be good on another layout and test it on yours.

Step by step elimination of suspects is good in both police work and model railroading 😂. 

bbmiroku

Which power unit do you have?  Is it DC-powered with a speed (voltage) control knob on the power pack, or is it DCC (remote controlled)?

VincentMassi

Sorry, Folks. I forgot that I had posted this. Someone suggested that I flip the direction switch back and forth several time--no effect. But then I turned on the power (with the speed set to zero) and flipped it several times, and now it works fine.

I cannot find anything in the instructions about being DCC ready. Of course, most of the instructions are on a VHS tape that I cannot run on my DVD player.

jward

You can find beginners books on model railroading at any hobby shop that will tell you what was probably on the video tape. Model trains don't vary much from manufacturer to manufacturer. The biggest difference these days is DCC or Dc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA