News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 and 4-6-0 question

Started by Matt Bumgarner, February 17, 2007, 08:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Bumgarner

What are the scale driver heights on the 4-4-0?

Are the 4 wheel pilot trucks on the 4-6-0 and 4-4-0 interchangeable?

Will the service department sell separate pilot trucks? I need to get a set with the spoked wheels rather than the solid ones.

Thanks,

Matt Bumgarner

Matt Bumgarner

I'll ask again-

What are the scale driver heights on the new 4-4-0?

Thanks,

Matt

rikc9

You did not specify which 4-4-0 but I have the new HO Spectrum Richmond 4-4-0 and the drivers are 61".
My Spectrum has spoked wheelsets.
I hear pros and cons concerning the Bachmann parts department. The parts department never answered my email request for information so I sent a snail mail request with a self addressed stamped envelope requesting parts available information.
The Bach-man seems to indicate that Bachmann does have live people in a real parts department.
No doubt with the cost of keeping live people employed, it has caused Bachmann to operate with as few people as possible. The only explanation that I can see.

Rikc9

Matt Bumgarner

Thanks Rikc!

Yes, I did mean the Spectrum 4-4-0.

Thanks very much for your help!

Matt

joegideon

I just swapped one set of spoked  lead truck wheels on my 4-6-0 with a solid seton the 4-4-0, giving one set ea. on either engine.  Mismatched wheels were fairly common when solid wheels were firstbeing used.

Seasaltchap

Matt : The drivers on a 4-4-0 and a 4-6-0 have little if anything to do with the wheel arrangement. They are set by the designer of the engine for the purpose of the engine. A shunter will have small diameter drivers, whereas an express engine will have large diameter drivers.

In another string there is discussion about scratch building and a tradition of researching the subject. Are there not  reference works on these matters.

Manufacturers tend to use 1/8" axles for driving wheels on steam locos, and these have brass bushes to-go. Worm sets are made for the axle size.  I think you have a much wider market to search than Bachmann if you want to get to a finescale situation. At a streach, you can always drill out the axle holes to match.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

Matt Bumgarner

Thanks Seasalt, but my inquiry was just to

a) see what size the Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 factory drivers were to see how close it matched the prototype I am trying to replicate, and

b) see if the spoked wheel sets on the pilot truck would interchange with a solid set I would like to buy from the service department.

Thanks for taking time to reply!!

Matt