News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann n scale 2012 light mountain

Started by cdlsa, June 02, 2018, 11:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdlsa

Hi

Can anybody tell me the BAC numbers for the second release in 2012 of the n scale light mountain I keep searching for one and can only find the original release

Ed

spookshow

Sorry, Bachmann generally uses the same catalog numbers from one production run to the next (even when the models have changed significantly). It does make web searches more difficult.

Good luck!
-Mark

cdlsa

Mike C

The second release will have wires running between loco and tender. I have a first release that I am willing to let go , It pullls well , I have shimmed the TT driver . It also has an Econamie decoder with sugar cube speaker.......Mike

spookshow

The other way to differentiate the two is the tender coupler - Rapido on the older ones, E-Z Mate on the 2012.

-Mark

Maletrain

Quote from: spookshow on June 05, 2018, 09:17:24 AM
The other way to differentiate the two is the tender coupler - Rapido on the older ones, E-Z Mate on the 2012.

The problem with that advice is that we are talking about buying out-of-production models from some previous owner who may or may not have changed the couplers.  Or, maybe the owner before the previous owner made the change, and the current owner doesn't know about that. 

And, a previous owner may have changed MicroTrains couplers for either Rapidos or E-Z Mates.

Best to look for the DCC wires running between the loco and the tender, if the eBay photos are good enough to even see wires.

spookshow

True enough. The coupler clue would only apply to new items, not used ones.

-Mark

Maletrain

Items labelled "new" on eBay can be very not new. 

For example, I once bought a "new in box" diesel locomotive B unit that was supposed to be powered.  It was in the box for a powered unit and had the shell number of a powered unit.  But, when I receive it, I quickly realized that somebody, at some time, had replaced the mechanism with a dummy mechanism.  it was probably not an attempt at fraud, since it was so easily detected.  It was probably that some previous owner wanted a powered version of the B unit shell that came from the factory with the dummy mechanism, so he bought both powered and unpowered versions and swapped the shells.  Such things happen a lot.  Then, when the owner dies or sells his entire collection to a reseller, the person who is selling these things to us has little knowledge of the history of each item, and maybe not that much working knowledge of the items at all. 

In my case, karma was on my side.  I later bought an "unpowered" B unit and found it to be powered.  Based on a note in a photo giving a decoder address for the "dummy" unit, I suspected that it was powered and informed the seller before I bought it, but she did not change the listing nor up the price.  Was that the "other part" of my previous mis-match? Maybe, maybe not - I'll never really know.  It was 2 different sellers.

spookshow

I never trust anything on eBay to be "new". I'm talking about regular online vendors or hobbyshops.

-Mark