News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Manual Turnout Conversion

Started by infamouselijah, June 07, 2018, 07:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infamouselijah

I recently got manual turnouts from the 12-piece expander set. Is there a way to convert these into remote turnouts? If there is, where would I get the mechanism?

bbmiroku

The machining for turnouts, both powered and unpowered, are the same so in theory it should be no problem.  BUT... where would you get the mechanism?  No idea.

infamouselijah

Makes sense. Thanks! Also, I have an EMD F9 engine from the Challenger set and I'm wondering how many of the Union Pacific 12.5' smooth side cars it can pull on a flat grade. The engine runs noticeably slower with 2 of the cars and at very low speeds the train makes a clicking sound. It's not the couplers and it's not the engine. Is that normal?

Len

If you're using them on a permanent layout, and mechanically inclined, it's possible to adapt them to use either a Tortoise slow motion, or Peco dual solinoid, under table switch machine.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

See if the clicking is timed with the car wheel rotation and speed.  I've had axle imperfections that would hit underbody detail at every turn.  Could be a chipped  gear in the engine drive train too, that gets louder as you stress it more pulling more weight.  Draggy cars could be compounding the clicking as well as radically slowing the train.

infamouselijah

Thanks! I'll check the trucks and axles.