News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-6-0, versions.

Started by rogertra, June 08, 2018, 09:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

The Bachmann 4-6-0, both the passenger and freight versions are nice models but a bit dated for my 1959 GER.  I can update them by changing the steam dome and sandbox and move the headlight, modify the cab and tender etc..   However, what I would like to do on both versions is to change the slide valves cylinders to piston valve cylinders as it's very unlikely a class one road would not have done this by the late 1930s.

Can anyone point me to a website somewhere that shows how this has been done?  It doesn't have to be the 4-6-0s just a loco with the cylinders being modified.

Thanks/

Trainman203

It's perfect the way it is for a shortline all the way up to now!

Ken Clark

Roger

Big Blue Trains had! a article on doing this conversion, however it is now "404".

Should have printed it off when I came across it,

Ken Clark
   GWN

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 08, 2018, 10:41:04 PM
It's perfect the way it is for a shortline all the way up to now!

I don't model a short line.   :)

It looks too "Wild West" for me.

Cheers.

Roger T.

Trainman203

You need a balloon stack, a red cowcatcher and a very loud paint scheme to be " Wild West " 😂😂. And maybe a couple of arrows sticking in the wooden cab!😱😂😂

Make no mistake about it, modern engines like you want have been made into " Wild West " caricatures!  Even the T&NO 745, a heavy 1921 2-8-2!  But!  She was paid handsomely to put that outfit on for a movie!  Covered a lot of costs that year.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 11, 2018, 02:40:02 PM
You need a balloon stack, a red cowcatcher and a very loud paint scheme to be " Wild West " 😂😂. And maybe a couple of arrows sticking in the wooden cab!😱😂😂

Make no mistake about it, modern engines like you want have been made into " Wild West " caricatures!  Even the T&NO 745, a heavy 1921 2-8-2!  But!  She was paid handsomely to put that outfit on for a movie!  Covered a lot of costs that year.

What you say is all true but that's not what I want.  I want to model a modernised 4-6-0 that would be seen into the 1950s, not a loco from the 1920s.   There were no Canadian locos that looked like that into the 1950s.  What is wrong with that?  It seems to be an issue that I don't want them to look like the 1920s.

Even CPR 4-4-0 No 29, one of the oldest existing CPR locomotive, was modernised with piston valves, new cylinders and other fittings.

Cheers.

Trainman203

My problem Roger is that I keep thinking I'm funny!  When I'm not 😂!    How do I know I'm not? She tells me!  Every night!😂😂

Trainman203

Here's a real Wild West engine!

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36157&start=30

Oh man!!!!! HAWHAWHAW!😱😂😂😂. I'm about to have a seizure!!!!!!

Trainman203

You can get the boiler shell.  I did.  To strip all the details for a job I'm working on.  The cylinder block doesn't appear to be there though.

Trainman203

That modern 4-4-0 was At Trainworld forever and ever.  They like to never got rid of them, no one wanted them at the time.  You never know, might be a straggler lurking somewhere.

ebtnut

The B&O B-18 Ten-Wheelers would fill the bill.  There were originally built with slide valves but most if not all were rebuilt with piston vavles and Baker valve gear.  This link shows one still in service in 1953:  http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/bo2034s.jpg

There have been brass models of these locos done in the past.  Another brass option is the Arkansas and Louisiana Missouri 4-6-0.  I think it may have been a PFM import.  Very similar to a Kishicoqulis Valley RR engine.

Trainman203

Those B&O ten wheelers were huge.  SP had some huge ones too.  There is currently a preservation battle over another one, L&A / KCS 503 rusting away in a park in Port Arthur Texas, that the city tried to scrap on the QT.

These are nothing like the Bachmann models.  No amount of parts swap out can make it become one.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 11, 2018, 06:29:53 PM
My problem Roger is that I keep thinking I'm funny!  When I'm not 😂!    How do I know I'm not? She tells me!  Every night!😂😂

Well I see the funny side.

Cheers