News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DD40 Centennial

Started by DuaneLev37, December 27, 2018, 02:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuaneLev37

Good afternoon - my first post
I have a Bachmann DD40X Centennial. It is a good running engine. When I am running this engine on our clubs layout (both permanent and traveling layouts) it jumps the track at certain curves. I believe the both layouts have 14" radius curves. We've run big boys, challengers and cab forwards over the same track without any issues. So asking the club to adjust the track work would be a no go. Is there any adjustment that can be made to the Centennial? I'm thinking making the inside pair of the front and rear trucks flangeless. Any thoughts on this?

spookshow

I've run these on 9.75" radius curves without any problems. Have you verified that all the wheels are properly gauged?

-Mark

plas man

the Centennial is a DO-DO (0-8-0 ----0-8-0 in steam words) , if you remove the outer axle/wheels on both trucks  and run as a CO-CO (0-6-0 --- 0-6-0 steam terms) it will traverse first radius (9 inch) , you wont loose much traction . you may have to use a long shank coupler Bachmann stockist may still sell them or have old stock .
All three of mine are done this way and work fine .

DuaneLev37

Spooks how yes the wheels are in gauge.
Plas man thats probably a better idea then trying to machine the flanges off the wheels.
But can you  clarify which set your referring to?  The lead wheelset of each truck or the last wheelset?

plas man

Quote from: DuaneLev37 on December 29, 2018, 09:41:50 AM
Spooks how yes the wheels are in gauge.
Plas man thats probably a better idea then trying to machine the flanges off the wheels.
But can you  clarify which set your referring to?  The lead wheelset of each truck or the last wheelset?

I removed the outer set of wheels/axle (coupler end) the gears will not fall out . simply clip the bottom off the truck . I saved the wheels - taped to the inner under side of the plastic packing in the box for future fitting-if needed .
there may be overhang on the corners so you may need long shank coupler either on loco or cars

hope this helps