News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Any chart of curve track #'s?

Started by hgcHO, June 23, 2018, 02:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgcHO

Having accumulated many curve track = 505A,506A,H4403A4,H4403A5,92124A1,H44048.

Has Bach Man or Any One listed or charted the different stock # and curve dimensions?
{H4403A4-1 is a 22" curved track}

Having three pairs of rails crossing bridge what curve #sets works best to complete the loop?

Harry

Trainman203

bbmiroku

Well, if you'd like to maintain spacing between them, I'd suggest either a 15"r loop, 18"r loop, and a 22"r loop or a 18"r loop, 22"r loop, and a 26"r loop.
Depends on the type of trains and rolling stock you have most 2-axle or 4-axle diesels and most cargo rolling stock can go around a 15" radius loop.  but for passenger cars, I would suggest the 18-22-26 loops.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

E-Z Curved Track – Underside of track  -embossed on the end after second line of PATENT NO are the curve radius and arc.  Not all same size curved track has this info. Surmise it depends on when it was manufactured.

Example:
On one end 92124A8-1 (info after letter A varies) , oppose end 18"R-30o
This is HO 18" Radius Curved Track, 12 pieces make a circle. (12 x 30o = 360o)

This is sold as Item No./Model:  44501 - 18" Radius Curved (HO Scale, Nickel silver track with gray roadbed; 4/card

Note - Bachmann products are Item No. in print catalog and Model in their ONLINE/ WEB STORE

Ask Bachmann Service Dept multiple times over several years about the number embossed on underside of curved track - everytime  question stonewalled.

bbmiroku

It's an ancient Chinese secret.  If they told you, they'd have to kill you.

Terry Toenges

I modified my chart to include the "number of degrees in a circle". I should have done that when I made it. Thanks Hunt for giving me the idea.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34133.0.html
Feel like a Mogul.

hgcHO

Thank you - Terry Toenges  - your chart is a print out keeper.

Harry

Hunt

Quote from: Terry Toenges on June 24, 2018, 01:32:50 PM
I modified my chart to include the "number of degrees in a circle". I should have done that when I made it. Thanks Hunt for giving me the idea.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34133.0.html

Terry some trivia -
I (and likely others) suggested to Bachmann's H. Lee Riley almost two decades ago to mark all curved track pieces with its curve radius and arc.   

Suggest you add track code info to your HO track chart.  As you know,  all Bachmann HO is  Track Code 100

bbmiroku

Well if it's all 100, why bother with an entry in the chart?

Hunt

Quote from: bbmiroku on June 24, 2018, 07:39:14 PM
Well if it's all 100, why bother with an entry in the chart?

Not all brands of HO track is Code 100.

The Track Code 100 info is for those who do not know or not sure and as Terry understands need only occur once in chart header.

Trainman203

I've always wondered why model railroad curves aren't measured in degrees like the prototype.

Terry Toenges

I added the Code 100 line in it. As Hunt points out, not everyone is familiar with Bachmann track.
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

Trainman, they are.  1 standard piece of 15 or 18"radius track is 30 degrees. 1 standard piece of 22 or 24"radius track is 22.5 degrees.  Now, since two separate size circles could be made from 30 degree track sections, for example, can you see why it's marketed by radius instead of degrees?  Also, it's good to be able to tell at a glance how big an arc you are making, so your track doesn't skip over the edge of your available space.

ebtnut

In railroad engineering, the measurement of curves is based on the number of degrees of arc of a circle subtended by a chord of 100 feet.  The larger the radius, the smaller the angle.  In the prototype world, curves of 10 degrees or more are considered tight.  If I recall rightly, the formula to get radius from degrees of curve is 5,632/degree of curve = radius.   Using this as an example, a 36" radius curve in HO would be about a 22 degree curve.