Workable coupler on front of 0-6-0?

Started by sandman8355, June 26, 2018, 12:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman8355

Has any one figured a way to put a workable coupler on the front of a 0-6-0 steam locomotive?  I'm using it as a switch engine and without a front coupler it's not quite right.
?

Len

If you're talking about the HO 0-6-0:

Jonathan came up with this solution a while back:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18404.0.html

This is Kadee's solution:
https://kadee.com/conv/pdf/b53.pdf

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

sandman8355

Sandman8355Thanks to every one that had a solution, I appreciate it.  Don't really know why they come with a dummy coupler.

Trainman203

You'd think the Bach Man would have taken care of this by now (and done a DCC Sound version too.)

A freight locomotive, or any locomotive actually, without a working front coupler, is ..... 😖😡🤬👺😬🤭.  Brass engines in particular were, and continue to be, habitual offenders.

ACY

Quote from: sandman8355 on June 26, 2018, 02:31:26 PM
Don't really know why they come with a dummy coupler.
Pretty simple really, the 0-6-0 is an entry level locomotive for beginners to the hobby, dummy front couplers help keep costs down to make them more affordable.

bbmiroku

Trainman203

I wonder what the savings is per unit...... $00.000000005? 😂😂😂

I'd hardly call $1200 brass steam engines with dummy couplers on the pilot "entry level".

bbmiroku

I think ACY meant that the Bachmann 060 is entry-level.

Trainman203

Yes of course, but the absurdity of cost savings via a dummy coupler is especially writ large on a brass steam engine.

ACY

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 04, 2018, 04:44:54 PM
Yes of course, but the absurdity of cost savings via a dummy coupler is especially writ large on a brass steam engine.
I was referencing the Bachmann 0-6-0, not brass locomotives.
Quote from: bbmiroku on July 04, 2018, 04:29:05 PM
A coupler is, what, $3.00?
Adding a working front coupler to some locomotives is a lot more complicated then you would think a lot of careful considerations are taken into the design of Bachmann locomotives sometimes concessions have to be made in some areas. Adding a working coupler to the front of steam locomotives is a lot more expensive than $3. Sometimes it is hard to understand, but you will have to take my word for it.

Trainman203

If the original tooling had included a working coupler the added cost would have been close to zero.  It's not there now for the same reason a DCC / Sound version never comes out, the cost of changing the tooling.  The 0-6-0 is a Model railroad Jurassic specimen still surviving by momentum.

Maletrain

Considering that Bachmann did revise the motor and did make a DCC-ready slope-back tender, it does seem like they are slowly working their way to a DCC version.  Perhaps the problem is "mission creap", with the DCC desire becoming a DCC w/sound" desire, plus the difficulty of putting a speaker in that slope-back. 

But, when they finally get around to doing it, I hope they include a working back-up light ::)

Trainman203

Yes, a backup light. 

And since the 2-8-2 tender is the same as the 2-8-0 but with a backup light , maybe on the 2-8-0 too, and a nice bright headlight to go along with the nice bright backup light.

Maletrain

For the B&O fans, the D-30 was basically the Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 with a "medium tender", not a slope-back.  So, feel free to make an ugrade.