News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Timber Getting in NSW - 1924

Started by fred lundgren, June 29, 2018, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I like those gizmos with the cranks that they are using. Cool idea.
Feel like a Mogul.

ebtnut

Motive power was a couple of Class A Climax locos.  Climax engines seemed to be popula down under.  Be cool if Mr. Bachmann would make a Class A (hint, hint!)

jkemp

I, myself, would love to be able to purchase a Bachmann/Spectrum On30 Class A Climax at sometime in the future.

Maybe its just me, or film speed, but that Class A Climax seems to be moving at a pretty good clip headed down the mountain, beginning around time mark 3:03.

I'm still not completely sure exactly what, or where NSW is?  The best I can come up with from Internet searches indicate it is in Australia, New South Wales?  Is this correct?

2foot6

Check out it out on the net,but NSW is on the east coast of Australia between Queensland and Victoria.Many logging lines existing in those three states,using horses,Shays,Climaxes,Porters and many different European locomotives.Some millers were enterprising and built locos from remains and parts from various locos.........Peter

ksivils

If you read the comments, one of the individuals who posted ancestors worked on the logging line shown. According to him the train "coasted" down hill which was a dangerous practice.

I guess that would require the locomotive being "in neutral" and it would certainly explain the speed. I would love to know if that was possible to do with a Climax.

Hamish K

Great video. The line in question was 42 inch gauge. Timber tramlines existed in many parts of Australia, with gauges ranging from 2 foot to Irish Gauge (5 foot 3 inches). Some were 30 inches. In relation to coasting, I don't know the practices of the line in question, but on the Powelltown tramway in Victoria (Australia), locos pushed logs to the top of a hill, and then they coasted down, without the loco, to the mill. A brakeman rode on the log cars to control them Not sure if OH&S would approve these days! The loco followed down later to bring back the empty log cars.

I too would like a class A Climax as they ran on timber lines here, as did Class B Climaxes and Shays.

Hamish