Main Menu

Random steam pics thread

Started by WoundedBear, July 01, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmiroku

James in FL

That's all good stuff Sid.
Every picture so far, is new to me.
I really love the pic with the wooden rails, that's the beginning of North American Railroading as we know it.

Thanks for posting, looking forward to more.

ebtnut

I'm pretty sure that first Shay pic on page 12 is printed backwards.  IIRC, there were only a couple of "left-handed" Shays, and they were two-cylinders, narrow gauge, and built for export.  I would note that at one time Ford Motor Co. had a Shay for a plant switcher.  Henry Ford didn't like the off-center boiler design, so they had Lima build one with the boiler centered on the frame. 

Terry Toenges

Hmm..... This one has the cylinders covered. Wink. Wink. Early prototype. ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

Ken Huck

That Shay on page 12 is 'right' handed.  The tender is to the left (rear).  I read somewhere that the horse-drawn
carriages on city streets were a bit shy and get a little skittish when one of these loud, smoke-belching screamers
would get close.  So the city engineers would try to 'hide' them to fool the horses.  Don't know if it worked or not.

...Also, the 4-truck shay on the same page:  That's the first 4-truck picture I've seen that wasn't a model.

Edit:  Just looked at 'all' pages, the backwards shay is on page 11.

Thanks for posting.

RAM

Anybody know anything about that 2-6-2 on page 12?  It looks like it might have more than one generator. 

ghshanley@yahoo.com

Love it! I could look at pictures of steam engines all day. Brings back lots and lots of good memories. Thanks.