EZ Track with Plug n' play controller N track only goes one way

Started by kevincasey, July 06, 2018, 02:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevincasey

after using the EZ Track layout ( N scale) for about a month with no problems, my track only goes in one direction now... don't understand why?... it's not the engine either, because all engines only go in one direction on this EZ Track layout... when I slide the switch over to go the other way, the engine just dies... also, on another EZ Track layout, all engines work as designed, both forward and reverse, so it's something to do with THIS track... my Plug 'N Play controller is the type with the 2 red wires coming out of it to power my switches on the track (all switches are working fine)... I have swapped out controllers, tried different engines, unplugged and re - plugged the power from the outlet to the controller, tested other N scale track layouts... but I'm at a loss... any help would be appreciated...

Trainman203

ALL of your engines only go forward on this layout, right?  Regardless of how " reverse" is set, right?

The problem persists on this layout when you swap out your "controller ", right?

ALL of your engines can run properly in both directions on other layouts with other "controllers", right?  (Tell us what the "controller" actually is. )

All of your engines can run properly on other layouts when your own "controller " is connected, right?

Now, in the above questions, take out the words "all of your engines" and substitute "someone else's engines" and answer the questions .

You are running a "DC" powered layout, right?

NOW... if all the questions above are answered "yes".....

.........  I have NO IDEA what is wrong.  If systematic elimination of the causations above yield nothing ..... I don't know....

kevincasey

"controllers" are the Bachmann Speed Controller with Plug-In Wiring... what is odd is that this layout worked for weeks without any problems...now, it can only go in one direction...any help would be appreciated

Trainman203

Those are the possibilities I can think of.  Eliminate them one by one, using the checklist, you've done some already, and report back.

I have chronic engine stalling and over time have evolved a list of issues to systematically eliminate.  They basically come down to cleaning engine contact points or the track, both issues in our tropical coastal climate.

kevincasey

I have found a work-around...although, I still do not understand why my track suddenly went "bad" and started only going in one direction (after working fine for a month)...  my layout consists of #1, a main line with 5 switches and #2, an upper line, which is an oval track with no switches-it's elevated and goes over the main line in certain areas  - regarding the main line, power is sent to the track with the Speed Controller with Plug-In Wiring to power the track and the 5 switches... all 5 switches still work fine, but the problem (as stated earlier) is that you can only can go forward with the engine... now, the upper line (oval track layout with no switches) has power sent to the track with the Speed Controller - however, this Speed Controller does not have any Plug-In Wiring - a "simple" Controller was used because there was no need for it, there are no switches... the upper line has always worked fine (engine forward and reverse)... but what I did differently this time was I still used the same 2 Speed Controllers (the Plug-In Wiring Controller and the simple Controller) - but the power to run the engine on the main line is now from the upper line "simple" Speed Controller, and the power to run the upper line is sent from the Speed Controller with Plug-In Wiring from the main line... so, the Speed Controller with Plug In Wiring sends power to the upper line track and sends power for the main line switches - the simple Controller sends power for the main line track - I need 2 Controllers (the Plug-In and "simple") to fully run the main line - I need only one (the Plug In) Speed Controller to run the upper line

remember, these are Bachmann Speed Controllers - one Controller has Plug In Wiring to power the switches and the other Controller only sends power to the track- it's a quick and easy set up, and until now, had been quite reliable - earlier, I had changed the red power wires, changed the terminal track section, swapped out the Plug In Wiring Speed Controller with another Plug In Wiring Speed Controller

Piyer

Given that track is essentially just two metal bars, shaped like rails, held in gauge by a plastic base, I feel confident in saying that the problem is not the track.

I suspect that your problem is that the reversing switch has broken. It clearly is throwing all the way in one direction - the one that your trains are running it - but when thrown in the opposite direction it is either not fully connecting with the contacts or moving it in that direction is causing a short. This is suggested by your remark that "when I slide the switch over to go the other way, the engine just dies"

One other thought... the "switch" in the above quote, is that the direction switch on the controller, or are you talking about a track switch (aka turnout)? Just want to make sure you aren't shorting things out with a reversing loop. (Yep, been there, done that myself, when I was shifting from 3-rail Lionel to 2-rail HO).

If it is the reversing switch on the controller, you might be able to get it repaired.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Trainman203

I thought about that switch too but thought no,  that's too simple and obvious.

kevincasey

the Controller with Plug In Wiring sends power to the track and to the switches (turnouts) - it has a red power wire going to the terminal track section (to power the track) and it also has wiring to send power to one of the switch boxes (the switch boxes "snap" into one another , so all 5 are powered) - it does not work properly on the main line, as I cannot go in reverse with the engine - all 5 switches continue to work (the main line has 2 switches to pull the train into (and back out of) the inside track of the main line (the main line has both outside track and inside track) and enables me to access the spur lines from the inside track - the inside track also has 2 switches, and one of the spur lines has 1 switch (for the total of 5 switches) - as stated, this Controller with the Plug In Wiring on the main line does not allow me to go in reverse - however, when I tie this Controller with Plug In Wiring into the upper line terminal track section with the track power red wire, the engine can go in both directions - also, all 5 switches on the main line continue to function properly - now, the "simple" Controller (has no Plug In Wiring) that use to send power to the upper line is now sent to the main line, and is working properly (engine goes forward and reverse) - the upper line is an oval with no switches

one of my first steps was to swap out the Controller with Plug In Wiring with another Controller with Plug In Wiring, which did not work - what eventually worked (and I don't know why) was to swap out the Controller with Plug In Wiring on my layout (for the main line) with the "simple" Controller on my layout (has no Plug In Wiring) that previously sent power to the track for the upper line - as stated, it now sends power to the main line - the power sent to the switches still comes from the Plug In Wiring Controller, but the power for the track in now sent to the upper line - so I do have a "work around" now, and both lines are now working, just not how it designed

remember, these are Bachmann "Plug N Play" Speed Controllers, I do not need and special wiring, etc - you just plug the red power wires into the track and go - and in the case to power the switches, you just plug in the wiring to the switch box from the Speed Controller that has Plug In Wiring

I really appreciate the input I have been receiving - it a great "sounding board" and you guys have helped me along the way - what bothers me is that I still do not understand why the Controller with Plug In Wiring cannot work properly on the main line, but works on the upper line -  many thanks, and I'm going to keep "digging"

Trainman203

Could you possibly have a reverse loop?  Upload a track plan.